Wort syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When the bird was here, he mentioned a place that served boiled down wort syrup on ice cream. I've been craving this idea recently and began thinking of an easier way to do it....what about just using LME?

You could heat it in a saucepan until it became warm, so wouldn't this essentially be the same thing? You could use dark LME for more of a "stout" flavor.

Am I missing something here?

Chairman Cheyco said:
Depends if that stuff they are using is hopped or not. I would think LME would work, but could you bring yourself to be considered as an extract ice-ream eater, and not an AG ice-cream eater?

:rolleyes:

I assume the restaurant used un-hopped, and I'd prolly wanna do un-hopped as well. It wouldn't be too hard to pull off some excess wort during (or after) the sparge and boil it down, but as the_bird can testify, you gotta really baby-sit that stuff. I'm just thinking pure un-hopped LME would be so much easier. But if you are a purist....

I've thought about that myself. I don't keep any LME around, but I could easily make some from the DME I use for starters. And I could do a small amount so I wouldn't waste anything.

I'm going to try it again, but when I can babysit it and not be worrying about the smoker, etc. Maybe a double-boiler, so that it can't scorch? It'll take longer, but that would keep you from having the same problem I had (I am *SO* glad I didn't end up destroying any of Mrs. Dude's cookware).

Next time I'm at the place, I will ask. I've heard of people sprinkling DME onto ice cream, so I don't know why LME wouldn't work - it's just not as cool.

Yup! That's all a malted is, ice cream and DME. If you just sprinkle the DME on the ice cream, you get crunchy bits.

orfy said:
It's been said before but how about a hop flower icecream served with malt.

I think the commercial malts have malted milk in them as well.

seefresh said:
I bet a hop flower ice cream would be delicious. I've had basil ice cream that was amazing.

How would you do something like that?

Share a recipe. :D

the_bird said:
I'm going to try it again, but when I can babysit it and not be worrying about the smoker, etc. Maybe a double-boiler, so that it can't scorch? It'll take longer, but that would keep you from having the same problem I had (I am *SO* glad I didn't end up destroying any of Mrs. Dude's cookware).

You could try a double boiler but it'll take a loooong time to evaporate that off so make sure you have lots of water in the bottom. As an aside, where you really have to pay more attention with any reduction is at the end. Early on it needs less attention, but those last few minutes are the worst. Actually what I usually do with things of this nature is start fairly high on the heat and wisk like mad to help drive off the moisture and keep from burning, then as it approaches the end I lower the heat. It takes less time, but you have to be there on top of it the entire time.

zoebisch01 said:
You could try a double boiler but it'll take a loooong time to evaporate that off so make sure you have lots of water in the bottom. As an aside, where you really have to pay more attention with any reduction is at the end. Early on it needs less attention, but those last few minutes are the worst. Actually what I usually do with things of this nature is start fairly high on the heat and wisk like mad to help drive off the moisture and keep from burning, then as it approaches the end I lower the heat. It takes less time, but you have to be there on top of it the entire time.

That's what I was thinking; medium/high heat, lots of whisking, to start, then transfer to a double-boiler to finish it near the end.

the_bird said:
That's what I was thinking; medium/high heat, lots of whisking, to start, then transfer to a double-boiler to finish it near the end.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. Just remember to fill up the bottom of the boiler so it doesn't run dry (now who do I know that's done that....:D).

Back