Gathering a water sample for ward labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMike

Reaction score
I am on a private well and on the Ward site they instruct that the water should be run for several hours before taking the sample. While I understand that doing so would eliminate elements that are in my pipes, pressure tank, etc....I wonder if that is neccesary for a brewing water profile, as I would not do that before brewing, I would just open the tap and go. Any opinions?

I would only let it run for a minute or two. I think the "several hours" instruction is intended for irrigation wells. After all analysis for home brewers isn't exactly their core business.

Brian

Letting it run for several hours defeats the purpose of testing the water as you plan to brew with it, unless of course you let it run for several hours every time you brew.

Letting it run for several hours defeats the purpose of testing the water as you plan to brew with it, unless of course you let it run for several hours every time you brew.

iagree.gif

After all analysis for home brewers isn't exactly their core business.

Brian

It may not be the core business but they have a special form for us home brewers to submit. They know what's going on and I think they appreciate the business.

I recently used Ward Labs. They were very quick in their analysis. I'd just contact them directly via e-mail with your inquiries. They are very quick to respond.

Latest posts

Back