Help me build an orange IPA partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanlan

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

College football season is upon us in a week! I want to make an IPA or maybe a pale ale that will be Orange in color. Its my way of having school spirit! Any how I have a couple of ingredients sitting around now, but I'm not sure how I can piece them together. Will you guys lend a hand?

I think I'm shooting for an SRM of 11 - 13
For IBU's I want to land around 50 or 60 I think. Though I'm not familiar with these hops so I'm not sure how it will taste.

As for ingredients on hand I have 1lbs of Liberty hops(3%), 1 lbs of Magnum(14%), 1 oz of Galena hops(12% i think). Plenty of 2-row malt to go around.

I'm shooting for a 5 gallon batch ATM.

So what additions should I use? I've been fooling around with Beer Calculus, but I'm not familiar with the grains/extract I should be using to achieve my SRM. I figured you guys would have better suggestions! Thanks

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1 oz magnum 45
3 oz liberty 10 min

orange food coloring......lots.

Ferment, keg, serve.

Thank you sir! I appreciate your help! Kinda feel stupid asking the question now that you gave such a simple answer. Tyty.

Though does lots = 1 small bottle(one's in the multipacks) or something more?

Never used food coloring.....

I would say use 1 and have another on hand.

In order for it to be orange in a pint, it will need to be hunter orange in a primary.

Hunter orange is perfect for my application! I was thinking of Titan and Hopsecutioner when developing this idea. I was having trouble fumbling with the grains to determine what I need, but I figured it out using the brew builder on Brewmasters Warehouse website.

It would need to have very little color originally to look trully orange.

If you want hunter orange in the pint......I would think 4-5 tubes of orange FC would be needed.

However it looks in a BB or Carboy, it will be 1/10th of that in a glass.

Serve in BIG glasses for more orange.

Back