Infected beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiso

Reaction score
Just trying out my first All-Grain after 10-12 successfull extract brews.
The problem is that I have a "heavy foam" resting on the top of the beer after starting 2nd fermentation and it stays there.
The beer is brewed on WPL320 and is a standard American Hefe Weizen.
I made no starter as it was stated on the tube that I could pitch directly.
No bubbles for appr. 30 hours. Fermentation temp 20 degrees C ~70F kept dark at all times.

The top looks like this.

016small.JPG

The beer tastes ok and there is no "abnormal" smell to it.
SG is 1012 measured after 1st fermentation.

I haven't seen this kinda "stuff" before so I'm not sure what to think.

Any input is welcome.

:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Just trying out my first All-Grain after 10-12 successfull extract brews.
The problem is that I have a "heavy foam" resting on the top of the beer after starting 2nd fermentation and it stays there.
The beer is brewed on WPL320 and is a standard American Hefe Weizen.
I made no starter as it was stated on the tube that I could pitch directly.
No bubbles for appr. 30 hours. Fermentation temp 20 degrees C ~70F kept dark at all times.

The top looks like this.

016small.JPG

The beer tastes ok and there is no "abnormal" smell to it.
SG is 1012 measured after 1st fermentation.

I haven't seen this kinda "stuff" before so I'm not sure what to think.

Any input is welcome.

:rockin::rockin::rockin:
It's ruined. From the picture, it's the worst case of krausen-noobitis I've seen. Send it to me. I'll dispose of it properly.:D

Seriously tho., all is well. It's just krausen. RDWHAHB:mug:

Mr. Fit and mr. Hugh

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I was worried as hell, though I have previously prided myself of having found a good cleaning regime.
I'll keep up the good work and dispose of it in a proper manner.
Pouring it down several friends "drains" that is.

Cheers from across the Atlantic.

I brewed a chocolate stout that looked like that for a long time. It was all the chocolate residue and some krausen that hadn't fallen back in yet. I left it in secondary for about 3 months and it never fell in. I racked from underneath as stated above and it was one of my favorite beers yet. It's on the list as a winter seasonal, so the family is anxious to get more this year.

Good stuff ;)
I was kinda thinking about gently scooping the layer off and then transferring to a fresh fermentor before adding the priming solution.
I kinda wanna harvest the yeast as this batch was a dry run (he he) before introducing the guys to the art of brewing (well drinking and brewing :eek:) )
Any tips on what road to go down?
As mentioned earlier i did a grav. reading. This was 5 days ago and at this point the airlock has no activity at all so the fermentation is done.

Cheers!

Good stuff ;)
I was kinda thinking about gently scooping the layer off and then transferring to a fresh fermentor before adding the priming solution.
I kinda wanna harvest the yeast as this batch was a dry run (he he) before introducing the guys to the art of brewing (well drinking and brewing :eek:) )
As mentioned earlier i did a grav. reading. This was 5 days ago and at this point the airlock has no activity at all so the fermentation is done.

Cheers!

I would definitely NOT remove the krausen. Let it settle out before racking and priming. Fermentation is probably not completely finished. As the experts around here will say, you need to rely on your hydrometer reading, not airlock activity.

I would definitely NOT remove the krausen. Let it settle out before racking and priming. Fermentation is probably not completely finished. As the experts around here will say, you need to rely on your hydrometer reading, not airlock activity.

Nicely put.

Good stuff ;)

Cheers!
Fermentation is complete when there are three identical gravity readings. <looks over shoulder for Revvy> Never use an airlock as a fermentation gauge.:D

If you would like to harvest the yeast from this batch, I'd suggest this method.
:mug:

I had a reading of 1012 on sunday and today (thursday) I had 1010. Good point about the airlock. Went for it at tapped it on bottle + keg. I went for a 3.3 CO2 content for the bottles and 2.0 for the keg, as I don't have a pressurerelief plug in that one. The bottles are fermenting standing inside a fermentor in case of "hopsgrenade syndrom".
The Krausen on the top had settle real nicely and didn't prove to be a problem.
I will update on the first tasting from tomorrow nigth ;-)

The yeast was harvested in a very similar fashion to the one linked.

Cheers once again from across the Atlantic.

Back