Shipping Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
What do you guys think the effect of a white labs vial of yeast sitting in a 110 degree UPS truck for 2 days will do to it.? I just talked to my ups truck driver (I see him everyday at work) and he hangs a thermometer in the back of his truck (i guess so he can brag about his work enviroment). I really dont want to make a starter.

Well its coming from Austin home brew with an Ice pack that melted before it left their shop.

I won't order liquid yeast in the hot months, I've had a few bad experiences with vials/smack packs being hot to the touch out of the box. Last weekend we got up to 116° in my neighborhood, those little cold packs they use wouldn't survive for half an hour. At least one vial has arrived dead as a doornail, and I've had a couple of smack packs that arrived fully swollen. Thankfully I use dry yeast for most of my beers.

My last two yeasts I got in the mail from AHS were nearly dead - the starters took three days to show signs of life. Summer time = dry yeast time.

Old thread but a question occurred to me since I've got yeast on the way via UPS. The mindset is to avoid getting yeast delivered when it's hot, but isn't the LHBS also getting yeast delivered when it's hot? What is different about how a LHBS gets their delivery vs. how I do? Do they get it quicker? Delivered in a refridgerated truck? Is it packed better to stay cool longer?

When a LHBS orders yeast directly from White Labs, Wyeast, etc... They are ordering in large quantities. Most likely in large foam insulated box with dry ice. The mass of the box with the individual boxes in it would allow it to stay cooler longer. It would be better insulated than a single pack of yeast in an insulated envelope with a tiny ice pack in it.

Old thread but a question occurred to me since I've got yeast on the way via UPS. The mindset is to avoid getting yeast delivered when it's hot, but isn't the LHBS also getting yeast delivered when it's hot? What is different about how a LHBS gets their delivery vs. how I do? Do they get it quicker? Delivered in a refridgerated truck? Is it packed better to stay cool longer?
To answer that question since I have seen a shipment come in to a lhbs. Their packaging is in styrofoam, in a box, and with several cold packs. They also get it a lot quicker than we usually do since they are order in bulk. They are paying for the packaging and buying a lot more than we as homebrewers would ever purchase unless you are doing one massive brew.

It is really tricky to get it shipped as a homebrewer. Best bet is to stock up before weather gets warm or get your lhbs to order it for you. Dry yeast is also a really good option since there are so many styles available now.

Back