Water profile adjustment help for witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpatel479

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Blanche du Bruges clone this weekend and need some help with water chemistry. I had a water report done from ward labs and here are the results.... What adjustments, if any should I make?

pH : 7.4
Calcium : 59
Magnesium : 24
Sodium : 26
Chloride : 93
Sulfate(SO4-S) : 7
Bicarbonate (HCO3) : 122
Alkalinity (CaCO3) : 100.

I used the EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet and the one John Palmer's How to Brew site and they are both telling me different adjustments. Please help.:drunk:

If you did 2/3 distilled and 1/3 your tap water, added back some calcium (to get up to 40-50ppm), and then added about 2-3% acid malt, you'd probably be golden.

I'm planning on brewing a Blanche du Bruges clone this weekend and need some help with water chemistry. I had a water report done from ward labs and here are the results.... What adjustments, if any should I make?

pH : 7.4
Calcium : 59
Magnesium : 24
Sodium : 26
Chloride : 93
Sulfate(SO4-S) : 7
Bicarbonate (HCO3) : 122
Alkalinity (CaCO3) : 100.

I used the EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet and the one John Palmer's How to Brew site and they are both telling me different adjustments. Please help.:drunk:

I know this thread is probably old, but I live in Limerick as well and was really wondering what the tap water profile was like...I tried dissecting the water report from 2014, but with no real luck. Do you have public or well water?

I know this thread is probably old, but I live in Limerick as well and was really wondering what the tap water profile was like...I tried dissecting the water report from 2014, but with no real luck. Do you have public or well water?

I got a new water report a few moths back from Pennsylvania American Water. They are pretty good about giving me the needed info. They also said that they use two different water sources so they gave me the average. They test twice a year because of seasonal changes. Send me a pm of your email address and I will forward their last report over to you. Also, let me know if you want to exchange some homebrews :mug:

Latest posts

Back