Curse of 1.030; choices, course of action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey57

Reaction score
20130203192748374.jpg

I have a strong Belgian ale type, I can't quite call it a Quad, but it was an attempt on my travels to learn the crafting of Quads. I brewed it 2 months ago and transferred to the secondary at 3 weeks.

Fermentables:
70% 2row
8% Dried Malt extract
12% Candi Syrup
10% Special B

WLP500 no starter, aerated with a paint stirrer on electric drill
O.G. 1.092
Current Gravity: 1.030

Beer Smith estimated a finished gravity of 1.014. Anyway, I guess this is a good and stuck fermentation. Its been cold in my basement main fermentation was around 68 for the first 3 weeks, since November the ambient temps in my basement have dropped to 58 with winter and all.

Any ideas? I was thinking of putting in 5oz of sugar and a packet of S-05. I'd have to transfer back to a brew bucket and move into the house where it should be at about 68. Is there another yeast strain ideal for this? I have the S05 in my fridge.

A couple of things.

You way Underpitched by not making a starter. For a brew that big you would have needed a big starter.

Second, once the temp dropped the yeast will quit and not start up again. Chris White says of Belgian yeasts, "Once you cool them they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temerature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."

I have never tried this but Wyeast suggests that 3711 is good for stuck fermentations. From my experience it does chew through about anything.

YEAST STRAIN: 3711**|**French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style beers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

You can make a starter with it and when it is going good and strong, pitch it.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back