Will diacetyl go away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocknwoo

Reaction score
Been lagering now for a month and it still has a strong buttery taste. Can this be fixed? This was my first lager and I decided not to do a diacetyl rest, will be doing one for sure next time.

Any info will be appreciated!

Agree with Jaybird. Let your beer warm up, give it a couple weeks. The diacetyl will go away.

Actually, I don't know of anyone who successfully did a diacetyl rest after lagering.

You could certainly try, and if that doesn't work to try "krausening"- pitching a small amount of fermenting wort into the beer- to see if you can clean up the diacetyl.

Sorry should have specified, it's been lager
In my keg and carbed up.

Oh well this is a whole different thing. You can try and bring it up to 55-60 for a couple of days, over a several day period. Remember its the yeast that eat the diacetyl so if you have no yeast there they cannot eat the diacetyl. You will loose the carbonation along the way so be prepared to blow that off. Do your rest and hope for the best. But since its been carbed I am going to say your probably hopeless. Or you can do a krausening technique where you add fermenting beer/wort to it and let that eat away at the diacetyl. I have not done this myself but know people who have.

Good luck

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for all the advice everyone I'm trying to convince myself to like it but the buttery taste is to noticeable. Im really disappointed but it might just get dumped. Good thing I have a APA and a ESB bubbling away.

Cheers!

I definitely would not dump the beer just yet. You've put too much time and money into it. I had a similar problem with a hefeweizen recently. I let it warm up, added a little yeast, and it cleaned up very nicely. I also left it in the keg to do it, then gently transferred to a new keg afterwards by hooking the two beer lines together. By keeping it in the sealed keg, I didn't lose the carbonation.

Back