What's your favorite Micro brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
All right lets hear it, if you could only have beers from one which one would it be.

For me Breckenridge brewery. Its the one company that I have yet to have a bad beers from. And their 471 IIPA is awesome.

I really like New Holland. Their Dragon's Milk is the nector of the gods. I've tried almost all of their offerings available locally and have enjoyed them all.

Ryanh1801 said:
All right lets hear it, if you could only have beers from one which one would it be.

For me Breckenridge brewery. Its the one company that I have yet to have a bad beers from. And their 471 IIPA is awesome.

I know you always get the "woah they suck" kinda responses from these threads & it's nothing personal but I just don't get Breckenridge. The 471 small batch and Vanilla porter are good solid beers. I hear their small batch ESB is really good too. Had their sampler case: oatmeal stout, summerbright, avalanche & trademark EPA. Of those, only the oatmeal stout was decent & the rest were mediocre at best.

Now Bells OTOH.....

Haven't done the micro brew in quite some time, I've had one here and there when I don't have any homebrew or need to sample a style. When I was in Germany I drank pretty much just belgians and germans.

If I had to go off past experience, I'd probably say Unibrau (sp?) makes some really good beers, and I'll always pick at least one up if I see it on a shelf somewhere..

I've only been blessed to try three of their beers, but given that they're three of the best beers I've ever tasted, gotta throw all kinds of love to Vinnie at Russian River.

Among more local-micros, Ray McNeill puts out some pretty phenomenal beers up in Bratt. Best ESB I've ever tasted.

I change from time to time because I love'em all, but now I'd say Southampton or Troegs. There are always my standbys too - Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, and Anchor...

Three Floyds they are a half of an hour from my house. I go to the brew pub often. I always have a fridge full of their beers. I like almost everything they make huge fan of the Alpha King, Pride and Joy, Gumballhead, Romuless, and the Fantabulous. They have definatley influenced the beers I have brewed. I love hops and their beers are definatley hoppy. So if I could only drink one microbrew it would be them hands down.

If I had a gun to my head, I guess I'd pick Anderson Valley Brewing. Boont Amber is one of my very favorite beers, period. Their Poleeko Gold Pale Ale is solid. Their Hop Ottin IPA is very good. Just a good, solid brewery.

I sure would miss certain beers at Firestone, Stone, Ballast Point, etc..........

BrewBrain said:
If I had a gun to my head, I guess I'd pick Anderson Valley Brewing. Boont Amber is one of my very favorite beers, period. Their Poleeko Gold Pale Ale is solid. Their Hop Ottin IPA is very good. Just a good, solid brewery.

I sure would miss certain beers at Firestone, Stone, Ballast Point, etc..........

I can just see it now...."Anderson Valley! Please don't kill me, man.....I got kids!!!!" :D

Stone would definitely be missed....Flying Dog has some good stuff....Anderson Valley makes a damn fine Winter Solstice....:)

brewt00l said:
I know you always get the "woah they suck" kinda responses from these threads & it's nothing personal but I just don't get Breckenridge. The 471 small batch and Vanilla porter are good solid beers. I hear their small batch ESB is really good too. Had their sampler case: oatmeal stout, summerbright, avalanche & trademark EPA. Of those, only the oatmeal stout was decent & the rest were mediocre at best.

Now Bells OTOH.....

See and that's funny because of the two Bell's I've had (Oberon and Two-Hearted), neither impressed me one bit. All a matter of taste.

If I had to choose I'd go Flying Dog just because of availability and price, and Victory, all though I don't get it here.

:mug: The place I go is called Cornacopia Deli and bottle market in Eugene OR, They bring in brews form all the micro/craft brewers from all over the west. So I've sampled a lot of brews from different breweries. Hard to pick a favorite. They have beer tasting on the first Saturday of the month with guest breweries. I can't wait for Walking Man Black Cherry Stout to come through again. Looking on Walking Man's site, I might have to go up that way on my next vacation. The brew's all look pretty good, BIG too.:mug:

PseudoChef said:
See and that's funny because of the two Bell's I've had (Oberon and Two-Hearted), neither impressed me one bit. All a matter of taste.

If I had to choose I'd go Flying Dog just because of availability and price, and Victory, all though I don't get it here.

Up front: With out question, your preferences and there is no right or wrong when it comes to what you like....no matter how many people agree or disagree. Course, you have to admit that your talking about two rather highly rated beers from a brewery with a pretty large portfolio of product when it comes to Bells.

Course, I say the same thing about the current recipe of Storm King, Whirlwind and Golden Monkey ;)

I don't have a single favourite.

Just about everything I've had from Rogue was good, but they don't have a single beer that just knocks my socks off. Bell's was the rage in Kalamazoo, where I went to college and I only recall that I hated Oberon, though I've been trying to get my hands on some now that I understand beer a bit more.

Brewer's Alley is a brew pub here in Frederick that is just now beginning to do some limited regional distributing. I like most of their stuff too, and their hefeweizen is the standard by which I judge all hefes...

Jolly Pumpkin, Jolly Pumpkin and Jolly Pumpkin.

I absolutly love thier beer. They are doing something that only a handful of brewers are trying.:mug:

Well, I have a few that I really dig. I don't think I could pick Just One.

Right Now I Like

Stone Brewing Co.
Flying Dog
Lost Coast
Rogue

That's tough it would be like chosing your favorite song or movie. I would have to pick Deschutes since Black Butte Porter is the first beer I ever liked, Full Sail has some great brews, Hair of the Dog Brewery has some nice brews as well. I could actually list 5-10 and it would be tough for me to pick my favorite out of them.

I live 10 Minutes from Great Lakes Brewing Co, but my favorite is something I don't think made anymore. Las Vegas Lite from the Monte Carlo Brewpub in Las Vegas. I spent many days and nights in that place drinking that and playing video poker with friends.

Golden Valley in McMinnville, OR Then, Calapoolia in Albany, OR. Local to be sure, but two very talented brewmasters.

Professor Frink can be an NJ homer while living in Chapel Hill- that's fine. I'm from Chapel Hill, and Asheville's Highland Brewery is my favorite. Love 'em all, but the Oatmeal Porter and Gaelic Ale are among my all-time favorites. Guess I'm an NC homer. Also, go Heels!

I have to say Bells for sure one of the best, I live in Chicago so I cant get it any more:(

I also have to say Two Brothers(small chicago micro) and Goose Island because they are Chicago as well..

Jay

Unibroue

although I don't know what I'd do in Halifax without Propeller on tap in everywhere.

rabidgerbil said:
Hales... their Moss Bay Amber, Red Menace, and Pale Ale are all awesome.
http://www.halesales.com:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Hales is nice for dinner. I would suggest you keep moving down the line to the Jolly Roger Tap room and get some tasty Maritime. Be sure to order the onion rings…. They are the BEST. If you want to drive up north a bit Diamond Knot it tasty, plus their urinal is Budweiser keg!!

I think Odell Brewing in CO makes some really great beers. I only wish they would sell in TX. If I had to stay in state, I'd say Real Ale. Their Full Moon Pale Rye Ale is fantastic and they just started distributing in the metroplex.

chione said:
Hales is nice for dinner. I would suggest you keep moving down the line to the Jolly Roger Tap room and get some tasty Maritime. Be sure to order the onion rings…. They are the BEST. If you want to drive up north a bit Diamond Knot it tasty, plus their urinal is Budweiser keg!!

Those A-holes stole my last name.:p

My favorite micro is the only good thing to come out of Cleveland (not really I just say that b/c I'm a Steeler fan) obviously I'm talking about Great Lakes Brewing Company. Victory is very good too, I might call it a dead heat between the two of them actually. Nah I'll go with Great Lakes, but wow there are so many good micros its hard to pick one.

This is what makes it tough for good beer to survive. The market for yellow fizz is only split 3 ways, while the market for good beer is split countless ways. Not just micros, but you have imports, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada etc... Even the brewpubs that only keg or sell their beer at the pub compete in this market., while BMC has the yellow fizz market cornered.

I think Stone has the most consistently good beer I've found. I enjoy a lot of beer from a lot of breweries, but most only produce one or two that I really like. I've yet to find a Stone brew that I dislike.

Stone and Bear Republic, dead tie.

IPA
Ruination
Bastard

Racer 5
Racer X
Hop Rod Rye

6 perfect beers from California. And you thought we only had pretty girls and sunshine.

Back