WLP007 Fast Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout Saturday, pitched the a healthy starter of WLP007 around 3:30 at approximately 84 degrees into 1.075 wort, hit it with O2 through a 200 micron stone, and put it into the fridge with a target temp of 68. It took overnight to get to 68 and the fermentation took off in a few hours.

Today, approximately 48 hours later, the vigorous fermentation has died down and the krausen has somewhat dropped. It went from a quick-firing belch (1-2 per second) to a much slower pace today.

I've only used it once before for an Arrogant Bastard clone. That ferment was really crazy with a lot of activity but I don't remember how long it took before slowing down.

No gravity reading yet, too early.

With that being said ... is this typical of WLP007 - a quick burst?

ultravista said:
I brewed an oatmeal stout Saturday, pitched the a healthy starter of WLP007 around 3:30 at approximately 84 degrees into 1.075 wort, hit it with O2 through a 200 micron stone, and put it into the fridge with a target temp of 68. It took overnight to get to 68 and the fermentation took off in a few hours.

Today, approximately 48 hours later, the vigorous fermentation has died down and the krausen has somewhat dropped. It went from a quick-firing belch (1-2 per second) to a much slower pace today.

I've only used it once before for an Arrogant Bastard clone. That ferment was really crazy with a lot of activity but I don't remember how long it took before slowing down.

No gravity reading yet, too early.

With that being said ... is this typical of WLP007 - a quick burst?

84 degrees? Damn that's hot. You should have been about 20 degrees cooler. No wonder it was fast. I use 007 as my house yeast and usually pitch at 65. I dunno, good luck.

Yeah, it was near 84, but only for a little while. It took about 6 hours to cool down to 68 in the fridge. During that time, the yeast was not "visibly" active. It could have been closer to 80 though.

It was about 80 degrees here in Las Vegas Saturday, my plate chiller did take it from 190+ down to 80. That's if the dial thermometer is correct.

Next time I'll chill the wort first, then pitch later. I hate leaving it without inoculating though.

I brewed an oatmeal stout Saturday, pitched the a healthy starter of WLP007 around 3:30 at approximately 84 degrees into 1.075 wort, hit it with O2 through a 200 micron stone, and put it into the fridge with a target temp of 68. It took overnight to get to 68 and the fermentation took off in a few hours

:eek: 84F, I understand you say you put it in a 68f fridge, but you have to realize the warmer their environment the quicker they will work to an extent and it will be darn near impossible to cool them down with that much momentum.

Rule of thumb for the future, don't pitch until you are at your pitching temp.

Yeah, it was near 84, but only for a little while. It took about 6 hours to cool down to 68 in the fridge. During that time, the yeast was not "visibly" active. It could have been closer to 80 though.

It was about 80 degrees here in Las Vegas Saturday, my plate chiller did take it from 190+ down to 80. That's if the dial thermometer is correct.

Next time I'll chill the wort first, then pitch later. I hate leaving it without inoculating though.

Yep, you got it, it takes a batch or two to figure it out. It is hot where i'm at too and sometimes I can't get the wort below 80 in the summer. I put it in the fridge and get it down, pitch the next day. As long as you have followed sanitation properly, you won't have any issues. you could also do a real wort starter in that time.

I'm sure it will be OK, but better with a lower pitching temperature. Next time, another Arrogant Bastard, I'll pitch much lower.

I was going to use this cake for the A.B. however, considering the higher starting temp, would you use different yeast?

This yeast ferments very fast. I pitch at 65 and this ferments out in 3 or 4 days. Your higher temps would also make it ferment faster....

ultravista said:
I'm sure it will be OK, but better with a lower pitching temperature. Next time, another Arrogant Bastard, I'll pitch much lower.

I was going to use this cake for the A.B. however, considering the higher starting temp, would you use different yeast?

The higher temp wouldnt keep me from using the cake as long as the beer you take off the cake tastes good/ok/not like sh&$.

It's been nearly a week, I'll take a reading tomorrow. If all is good, and the taste is OK, I'll use this for my next Arrogant Bastard brew.

Back