WLP099 - whats a good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauntedyards

Reaction score
My friend gave me a vile of WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast the other day and I have no idea what beer to attempt with it...

I also have a bunch of extra light DME laying around some Hallertau and Saaz packs.

Any thoughts on what kind of high test beer could be done with this?

I brewed a barleywine, and used S-04 on it. The S-04 didn't take it down as far as I thought it could go, so I made a five gallon "starter" IPA with 099, and used the cake to take that barleywine down some more. It performed admirably, but the IPA was extraordinarily dry (finished at 1.002 IIRC) and the yeast imparted a "farty" sort of flavor/aroma to the IPA. The quality was present in the barleywine as well, but MUCH more subdued and inoffensive. It has also been dissipating over time - my last sample was at the 1yr mark, and the "farty" character is basically gone.

For my $.02, I wouldn't use it on anything that isn't very high gravity and in need of this mega-yeast.. For me, letting it age out was very important. Wouldn't use it again otherwise. I do intend to use it on my next barleywine, but will not be making a five gallon starter for it, as I won't want to drink it!

Back