Question about direct fire RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtime

Reaction score
Ok I have a Brutus clone that I have been brewing on for a few years. My mash tun is a converted keg (SABCO BM) that I had customized. I tend to heat my strike water in the Mastun and then add the grains. My grains are room temp at 65 degrees. I have noticed that the temp only drops a few degrees. For example, if I want a mash temp of 154 and my grains are 65 BeerSmith 2 says my strike water should be 165. What I have noticed is that the grain bed temp after rest is 158. Would it be possible that I only experience a 7 degree drop in temp.

What are other direct fire RIMS brewers experiencing?

Ok I have a Brutus clone that I have been brewing on for a few years. My mash tun is a converted keg (SABCO BM) that I had customized. I tend to heat my strike water in the Mastun and then add the grains. My grains are room temp at 65 degrees. I have noticed that the temp only drops a few degrees. For example, if I want a mash temp of 154 and my grains are 65 BeerSmith 2 says my strike water should be 165. What I have noticed is that the grain bed temp after rest is 158. Would it be possible that I only experience a 7 degree drop in temp.

What are other direct fire RIMS brewers experiencing?

Lots of strike water and only a little malt, could be. How much of each are you using and are you stiring very well??

my strike water is set up 1.25qts/pound. (from memory) and I do stir well to make sure there are no lumps.

Back