Weissbier Orange Honey Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging up an old thread. Around a month ago I was feeling lazy and didn't want to formulate a recipe. I stumbled upon this. Tapped the keg today and I had to bring another beer to a BBQ as I didn't want to loose all this in a night!! Best beer I have ever made by far. Thanks for posting!

I did make the mistake of doing my secondary with the orange in a corny. When I went to push beer I am not sure what I was thinking, but obviously filled the poppet with orange peel. Will definitely bag the zest or rack instead of pushing next time.

But once again, you have come up with a huge winner here! Thanks.

thanks dubD... i did this recipe a couple months ago and it was a huge hit. its now going to be my first duplicate ive brewed since ive switched to all grain (a keg of this has been requested for our 4th of july party)

I think this was my first duplicate recipe that I brewed too... Now I am doing it this month for the 4th time. The only other thing I've done 4 times was my Watermelon Wheat, but that was trial and error to nail down the recipe. This one has been brewed the same since the first batch.

But once again, you have come up with a huge winner here! Thanks.

Thank you! I am brewing this in a few weeks for a "local restaurant food paired with local homebrews" dinner... Not sure what they're officially calling it, but seems like a good time and we get two free tickets for making some beer!

I saw this recipe a couple of months ago and knew for sure this would be my first all grain batch.
I brewed last night and used a wyeast german wheat 3333.
The fermenting litterally woke me up at 3 this morning. I had to switch my airlock to a blow off tube for the very first time since I've been brewing. I've got high hopes for this one. I, like others, didn't see the marmalade but seeing that its only a heaping spoonfull, I don't think it'll make that much of a difference.
we shall see in 3ish weeks. Thanks DD

Yeah, the zest adds the most flavor, so don't sweat the 'lade.

I am making this in 10 days to serve at our local inaugural Homebrewer's Ball. A local creative network is hosting this. Competition with 18 brewers, 3 per 6 styles (Saison, IPA, ESB/Amber, Stout, Belgian Pale/Strong Ale, Fruit Beer) preceding the dinner, then a local caterer is pairing all the beers with finger foods.

I am super excited about this... Told my wife that this is my Super Bowl!

Fairly new to brewing, huge Hefe fan... I lack the equipment and knowhow to do an all grain, was wondering if you have an extract recipe for this? Much obliged

HHB

HappyHollowBrews said:
Fairly new to brewing, huge Hefe fan... I lack the equipment and knowhow to do an all grain, was wondering if you have an extract recipe for this? Much obliged

HHB

I would just swap out extra light dme for the pils and wheat malt extract for the wheat. It's not a one to one ratio, but I don't have that handy. It's an easy google though.

I brewed a slight variation of this last night. My local store only carries WYEAST so I used the 3638 Bavarian wht. Instead of marmalade, I boiled down 2 blood oranges and added the extract at 15 minutes (also using blood orange zest). Really excited to see how this turns out.

Gotta love WLP300:

(having trouble embedding this... click for video)

This eventually filled the blowoff pitcher:

2011-03-31_00-08-33_899.jpg

cadarnell said:
ok .. I have decided to brew this .. your recipe on here and the one on your website are just a little different ... this is what I have .. could you look at it when you get a chance and let me know if you'd change anything? .. thanks dubble

http://hopville.com/recipe/600325/american-wheat-or-rye-beer-recipes/1st-wheat

The one on my site is the latest incarnation... one that is still fermenting, so the jury is out. I'll try to report later in the week when I sample some.

So what would I change? I'd change to the recipe on my site, as I just did. As far as yours goes, that should be good too. No reason why it shouldn't work.

The one on my site is the latest incarnation... one that is still fermenting, so the jury is out. I'll try to report later in the week when I sample some.

So what would I change? I'd change to the recipe on my site, as I just did. As far as yours goes, that should be good too. No reason why it shouldn't work.

well ... i went ahead and brewed the recipe as it is on here including the marmolade, but with just 12oz. of plain honey as thats all i could find around town .. i havent yet started the zest soaking in the vodka ... im hearing different thoughts on that .. so would you say your way will give me a nice citrus flavor without over powering the beer? .. thanks for the recipe .. the wlp300 is just attacking that wort right now .. smells really banana-ish and sulfur-ish coming out of the ailock :ban:

i havent yet started the zest soaking in the vodka ... im hearing different thoughts on that .. so would you say your way will give me a nice citrus flavor without over powering the beer? ..

What other thoughts? I feel it's the best way to extract the oils from the zest. Don't automatically dump it all in - add it to taste when you're bottling/kegging.

smells really banana-ish and sulfur-ish coming out of the ailock :ban:

I am getting those right now too... Especially the sulfur a few days ago. On the bright side, the sulfur is on the outside now! :fro:

I would really like to brew this, but I only have the ability to do just over a 5 gallon boil. Could you see about 1.5lbs of the pils grain being replaced with 1lb of Breiss Pils DME?

Hi DubbelDach, i brewed this, just tossed the keg in my Keezer, wanted to know how long you let it age after bottling.

Interesting. I think i may have let the orange peel set in the vodka too long, it has an orange pith taste to it... :(.

Possibly because i only put the Vodka in, not the peels too...

Okay, so I bought my ingredients and here's what I'm going to use for partial mash (I have a mash tun but my brew kettle can only handle about a 6 gallon boil):

4 lbs 2-row
4 lbs wheat malt

Mash in 2.5 gallons (165 degree strike water to get a 153 degree mash) for 45 minutes

Sparge 3-3.5 gallons of 170 degree water (just eyeballing how much I can fit in the kettle)

Bring to boil, add 1 lb Breiss wheat DME (65% base malt, 35% wheat malt)

Boil .5 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes
Heaping Tbs of Orange marinade (15 minutes)
8 oz Orange blossom honey (5 min)
8 oz apricot flavored honey (5 minutes)

The store only had 1 8oz jar of Orange blossom in stock, but this should work

Do the Orange peel in vodka thing

I'll report back how it works out

So im fairly new to brewing, only done a couple extract brews thus far, but couldnt get this recipe out of my thoughts, so i had to give it some sort of a try. Only have a 5 gal kettle, so i Googled an all-grain to extract conversion, applied it to this recipe, took it to the LHBS and this is what I ended up brewing. Would really enjoy hearing all your thoughts, and I will report back how it turns out.

Brought 3.5 gal water to boil

5.5 lb of Muntons spraymalt DME
-55% wheat - 45% barley; Color: typically 9 EBC
-Added full amount to boil

Boil 0.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.00% AA) Pellets for 60 minutes
1/2 cup Orange Marmalade (15 minutes left in boil)
1.25 lb Raw Orange Blossom Honey (added at flameout)

cooled, topped up to 5 gallons. pitched Wyeast 3068 liquid yeast.

Doing the orange zest-vodka thing. Zested two organic navel oranges, soaking in 1 cup Stoli Orange Vodka.

Cant wait!

So I gave this one a time out after i initially posted, and loaded it back into the keezer, its taste has vastly improved. Nice one Dubbel.

Here's mine for this weekend, 90 minute boil

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.5 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.5 %
30.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 kg Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9.1 % (at flameout)

Mash Schedule:

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Heat to 50.0 C over 0 min 50.0 C 30 min
Saccarification Rest Heat to 66.0 C over 0 min 66.0 C 70 min
Mash Out Heat to 76.0 C over 0 min 76.0 C 15 min

Did this as BIAB yesterday, went well I think. Had already built a starter so its chugging away furiously right now

mine has been in the primary for 2 weeks and a day now and it's still tasting pretty sour .. at what point do you think this beer usually taste better ?? the wlp300 is done at 1.010 .. I'm planning on bottling a week from tomorrow, but I might not if it's still pretty sour ... I pitched at 80* and fermented in the low 70s so maybe thats why? .. this is my first time using liquid yeast so maybe I have messed something up ... thoughts?

I used snotpoodles step mash for this one today. smoothest brew day i've done to date (My firs two all grains were decoctions). I was a bit short on pilsner malt though so i upped the wheat and subbed in some vienna too. Have the zest soaking for the last 24hrs and am about to go pitch my starter so will report back when i get the first sample. Oh, I used hallertau to hop it also, hope that will be ok.

Cheers for sharing:mug:

Just some validation for this recipe. I had to make a few changes to it given supplies here in town....but HOLY COW! This was tasty. Nice work. Need to brew it again.

I did do the German 2-row Pils, but used American White Wheat (or something similar..can't remember) instead of German Wheat Malt Light. I didn't use orange blossom honey. I used some "wild organic" local stuff I found at Vons. I also quartered 4 navel oranges and added them 40 minutes into the boil instead of making infused vodka.

mine has been in the primary for 2 weeks and a day now and it's still tasting pretty sour .. at what point do you think this beer usually taste better ?? the wlp300 is done at 1.010 .. I'm planning on bottling a week from tomorrow, but I might not if it's still pretty sour ... I pitched at 80* and fermented in the low 70s so maybe thats why? .. this is my first time using liquid yeast so maybe I have messed something up ... thoughts?

Sour like Vinegar ?

If you get that Vinegar taste you're in trouble, and you might have an Aceto Bacteria infection. You shouldnt have a sour taste after 2 weeks, to be fair, you shouldnt have a sour taste at all!

Gerry - i did exactly the same thing, going to be kegging to night, but the sample was tasting decent. I also used Halletauer hops btw.

Sour like Vinegar ?

If you get that Vinegar taste you're in trouble, and you might have an Aceto Bacteria infection. You shouldnt have a sour taste after 2 weeks, to be fair, you shouldnt have a sour taste at all!

Gerry - i did exactly the same thing, going to be kegging to night, but the sample was tasting decent. I also used Halletauer hops btw.

i think it has moved from being pretty sour to a little tart now ... it's been three weeks and I still haven't bottled it yet ... I'm going to give it another week and see what it's like then and then make a decision ... I think it's just the wheat malt and maybe pitching at 80* ... but it sure could be an infection ... This was my 8th batch of beer and I have gotton more lax with each one on my sanitation ... I still feel like I'm staying very clean, but some things I was pretty anal about at first, I'm not so much now ... I've been using one step but it looks like most on here like starsan so maybe I'll switch ... the beer I brewed right after this one though, is just great .. it's a Drifter pale ale clone .. I just bottled it and I wanted to just start drinking it flat .. so who knows I guess ... thanks for your thoughts ..I'll report back ... cheers !!

I racked to secondary two days ago and all seemed well. I'll be bottling instead of kegging though. Glad to hear somebody else is using hallertau.

This is only the second batch i've primed and was just wondering should i introduce more yeast or will there be enough wlp300 left in it to do the job

Yeast should be fine...why are you secondary'ing btw?

I am taking mine straight out of primary after 2 weeks and kegging and bottling.

Yeast should be fine...why are you secondary'ing btw?

I am taking mine straight out of primary after 2 weeks and kegging and bottling.

I just presumed secondary fermentation involved moving to a secondary fermentation vessel. Oh well no harm done i guess.

What are you gonna use to prime? Ordinary table sugar? Using the priming calculator in the link below if i wanted to prime using DME I'd need over 500g which means i'd have to boil it in 5L of water!

P.S. nice to see a home brewer on here roughly in the same time zone as me(unless your in Johannesburg California that is!!)

http://tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Whats approach do people ususally take?

so is priming sugar needed if you are adding vodka at the bottling stage as well? I am pretty new at this, but isn't there enough sugar in the vodka to promote carbonation?

You should only need 4oz of corn sugar per 5 gal batch. No need for dme in this one.

Well i was just looking up a bit more about the style and and a bavarain weizen is supposed to have an average CO2 volume of 3.6-4.5 This would mean using about 10oz of corn sugar for my 22l batch according to the tasty brew calculator that i'm using. Has anybody carbonated this beer to that level? Do you guys generally carbonate your 5 gallon batches to a set volume regardless of style?

Well i was just looking up a bit more about the style and and a bavarain weizen is supposed to have an average CO2 volume of 3.6-4.5 This would mean using about 10oz of corn sugar for my 22l batch according to the tasty brew calculator that i'm using. Has anybody carbonated this beer to that level? Do you guys generally carbonate your 5 gallon batches to a set volume regardless of style?

Beersmith states that this should be 2.3-2.6 vols, if you put that much sugar in your beer, have fun cleaning up glass/shreds of your keg. if it does survive it will look something like when you open it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back