How's this for a scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good scale and it is inexpensive. I don't know about weighing hops though. I think I would want a smaller scale that was a bit more accurate.

Many ingredients and such in recipes are listed down to X.01 such as water additives. I had an issue last week when I needed .07 water salts and my digital scale moves by .05 each time. Maybe you don't need this, but it is realistic if you plan to use a single scale for everything. My scale limits at 5 pounds, but all that means is that I just weight a few containers of the big item (grain) and then all the rest of the items work in single shots. Most of the small items are the majority of your work when weighing things. Shoot for smaller and more accurate in my view.

If you are going to use it for grain you may want to look at the size of it. I've got one similar to it and it can be a pain weighing out sizable amounts of grain because the weighing surface is so small. Just my.02 worth.

Accurate to 0.1oz does not mean that when it reads 0.5oz it is 0.5oz. What it means is that when it reads 0.5oz you could have anything from 0.4oz to 0.6oz.

I would go for more precision.

Brewiz makes a great point. I bought one very similar and the measuring surface is too small for large amounts of grain. When you put a pot or bucket on top its tippy and you cannot read the display with the bucket/pot on there. I can live with balancing it but look for one that has a detachable display.

Back