Why Do i not like Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
I love American wheats, but have yet to find a German Wheat that I like. I went to the store tonight and got another one that i have not tried, once again i just didn't like the flavor. I think i have tried just about everyone out their. My dad thinks im crazy. I have had the shiner dunklweizen and liked that, but not sure if thats modeled after a German beer. What is it about the German wheats that is so different? Is it just the yeast that gives it that different flavor?

homebrewer_99 said:
Yes, it is the yeast, but it's also the fermenting temp and the use of lager yeast at bottling. :D

What is it that you don't like about the German HWs? Any idea or just a general comment?

Not sure, I really cant pick it out. It really is just the whole flavor in the beer, kind of the fruitiness, but yet i like Belgian wit's. I can honestly say German HW is the only beer i won't drink. I mean I love anything from stouts to very light sumer beers. I just think its kind of odd. And i get **** from my dad all the time when he offers me one.

maybe you jus dont like germans.. tut

im jokin, but if you can tell the difference between different yeasts used.. thats quite an achievement IMO

There is a big difference between American and German Style hefe's. The Americans styles lack alot of the yeast flavors that the Germans have. Personally I like them both, but can see where the flavors of the German style might not appeal to everyone.

I haven't had alot of German Style hefe's but the best I've had is actually made by Gordon Biersch. Had some Erdingers from Germany but IMO it is a bit over carbonated and not as flavorful as the GB.

As far as American style Widmer is OK. Pyramid is a little bland IMO.

McKBrew said:
There is a big difference between American and German Style hefe's. The Americans styles lack alot of the yeast flavors that the Germans have. Personally I like them both, but can see where the flavors of the German style might not appeal to everyone.

I haven't had alot of German Style hefe's but the best I've had is actually made by Gordon Biersch. Had some Erdingers from Germany but IMO it is a bit over carbonated and not as flavorful as the GB.

As far as American style Widmer is OK. Pyramid is a little bland IMO.
Agreed on most counts.

GB's hefe probably varies slightly from location to location and batch to batch, and the last one I had wasn't anything to rave about. Erdinger is pretty tasty if you can find it on tap. The best hefe I've had recently is Paulaner - very pronounced banana/clove notes, quite smooth on the palate.

Completely agree on the American wheat opinions. Pyramid is particularly disappointing.

Yuri_Rage said:
Agreed on most counts.
The best hefe I've had recently is Paulaner - very pronounced banana/clove notes, quite smooth on the palate.

Completely agree on the American wheat opinions. Pyramid is particularly disappointing.

That is what my dad drinks. The only American wheats I like are the micro brewed ones, the brewery i used to work at had an awesome one. Sunshine is alright, its great with a steak.

I dislike American wheats as well. I'm very fond of Weinheistephan and Franziskaner, and even more fond of my all-extract hefe.

I don't like wheats or hefes. I think it's the fruitiness or cloves or something. I don't like fruit beer, either. But I do like just about anything else, from lagers to stouts with a special love for IPAs. The IPA love is new for me, ever since I did a beerswap and got a few great IPAs I've been enamored.

Cheesefood said:
I dislike American wheats as well. I'm very fond of Weinheistephan and Franziskaner, and even more fond of my all-extract hefe.

I'm with you on that!

Cheesefood said:
I dislike American wheats as well. I'm very fond of Weinheistephan and Franziskaner

That sounds exactly like me. I thought I disliked wheat beer until I tried a good German hefe (Weihenstephaner is the best!) and Belgian wit. All I had had prior to that was American wheats. They taste too bland and tart to me.

I need to get to work on making a wheat some day.

Most American Hefe's taste like ice tea to me. I can't stand them. No wonder they have to put a f'ing piece of fruit with it.

Now, on the other hand, I LOVE any Bavarian Hefeweizen, and I have had my fill having lived in Germany for 5 years plus visiting it a few times each year too. Fortunatly for me, I have to visit my companies office in Munich, land of the Weissbier.

Weihenstephan, Tucher, Fanziskanner, Paulaner, Erdinger, Ayinger, Hasen Brau, etc.

One of my favorites is Karg.

Its' hard to beat a German Weissbier while in Germany!

GermanBeer4.jpg

Lunch anyone?

A little Leberkase mit Spiegelei und pommes und salat. Typical Bavarian Cooking.

GermanFood2.jpg

Man, that looks delicious. Maybe I need to go pick up some Leberkase also.

Karg is from Murnau, right?

Have you had a Roth HW from Schweinfurt? Very candy sweet! Delicious.:D
Just up the street from das Rathaus.

To date I think beer I think the beer I have enjoyed the most is Ayinger Brau-Weisse on tap at the Brickskeller in D.C. have yet to find it on tap again. It is good from the bottle, but just not as good which leads me to believe that it is the yeast that I must not like since it wouldn't be in the keg (right?).

Edwort I may have to talk to you next year, Im planning on going to Germany next summer for about a month after im done with college. I need some ideas on cool places to go. See what good my 4 semesters of German have done. Plus the three i had in HS.

EdWort said:
Yep.

BildMurnau.gif

Never had Roth before. There are still loads of little regional brews in Germany for me to try....
I know. I lived there for 9 years and I know I didn't sample everything they have to offer...but I tried!!;) :drunk:

I used to live in Augsburg and Bamberg. You ever make it to Kochel am See? It's down near Garmisch.

I hate you Edwort, i was going to list those off as my favorites from my trips to Bavaria and now i can't show off. Gah, i'd kill for a Franziskanner und Leberkase right now, just got done mowing the lawn and drinking swill. AHH!!!!

Klainmeister said:
or you could be like the other 90% of Germans and dislike everything Bavarian. ^_^

I love Bavaria. The rest of Germany has some good points, but Bavaria is like a second home. The city of Munich is known as Germany's biggest Dorf (village).

Where else can you check into a Marriott and they leave a box for in the room. They know my number.

MarriottGift.jpg

I am the same way , cannot stand American heff. German heff for the win everytime. I love going to specs liquor in houston, and picking out new ones to try.

I was drinking paulaner all the time in south padre. I will always recruit new beer drinkers with german heff.

So I am looking for the ultimate heff recipe anybody want to pm one? I have beer tools pro if you want to send a file.

I had a Hefe at Rock Bottom (some form of brewpub chain from what I understand) and it was bordering on gross because the Banana tasted synthetic. I DO NOT like that....I prefer the clove over the Banana, and if the Hefe does have Banana, I prefer it subdued. AND FOR THE LOVE OF PETE>>>>Please don't ruin it with a Lemon. :D I was at a place that had Paulaner Hefe on tap recently..the first one came out with Lemon. I didn't even think to mention that I didn't want lemon...they just assumed I did. GRRRR.

Oh yeah, and I love them in the bottle because you can pour up that nice ice-cream-come head. I have never gotten one on tap like that...

Brewpastor said:
Why do you not like Hefe? That is easy, you are a man of refined palate.

Funny enough, last night my roommate and I went to a bar with like 200 Beers on tap beers. He usually drinks only Miller lite, or if he is feeling adventurous a Dos, I got him to do this sampler, he tried a HW and looks at me and says "This is the best beer I have ever had" First thing I thought of was this post.

I love German Hefeweizens, but I keep hoping Brewpastor will post his wheat recipe. I gotta try to find that post again.

I'm bottling my hefe this weekend. I added a bit of honey malt and some flaked wheat.

On that note, since i will have a mighty healthy yeast cake, any idears for a special hefe that i could brew up to throw on top?

Back