Range extension cord>outlet>inline gfi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
I brewed this Monday while it was snowing and windy and I really don't want to do that again. I've been looking into electrical brewing and would like to know if this would work.

My range outlet in the kitchen is connected to a 40 amp breaker. But the outlet is a NEMA 14-50. I will not be using over 25 amps for a 5500w element and pump(23a + 2a=25). Could I plug this range extension cord into the existing NEMA 14-50 outlet, wire a NEMA 14-30 outlet in a gangbox to the extension, plug in an inline GFI and hook that up to my respective bus bars in my control panel?

cccc55fb-e203-4bfc-8b5b-6fe8ffcbeabd_300.jpg
d7de9fb8-4888-4cda-82e9-d6ea0cc0a2cb_300.jpg
30ampGFI.jpg

You could, but it wouldn't be safe. That inline GFCI is rated at 30A. I just got mine in the mail. Because the breaker could possibly feed 40A to it if there's a short before your downstream circuit protection, a meltdown could occur. You should install a 30A breaker or fuse before the GFCI cord.

Your going to love brewing with an electric system. If you can push forward a bit and wire up a 30A GFI breaker and hard wire your self an outlet.

This is my set up
I had to install a separate box to hold the 30A GFI so its not as good as putting the GFI in the house breaker box. The outlet is 50A so i needed the 30A protection.

100_1679.jpg

i would check the gauge of the wire feeding the 40 amp breaker. they might of used a 40 breaker but is 50amp wire. if so i would change the breaker to a 50 amp gfci.

Well, that's the $60 question isn't it. Can you figure out what the wire gauge is that is going into the 40amp breaker? If it's 6 gauge, you could put a 50amp breaker in and run an inline spa panel to get your GFI. The typical non-GFI 50a breaker is about $15 and the spa panel is another $50. If your main panel by some chance is a General Electric, you may be able to directly put the spa panel's GFI breaker in. If not, you'll find a standalone 50a GFI breaker is way over $100. I have no idea why.

Latest posts

Back