Programming PID for RIMS...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, guys, but I was having no luck searching.

I'm getting ready to auto tune my PID. Do I just run tap water thru the RIMS tube and then set the PID to autotune and wait? Anything else to know?

Thanks.

That's what I did. I set the PID to autotune, and did a "dry run" with an entire brew volume of just plain water. Worked fine on the subsequent two real brews. Everything seems to be working like it's supposed to.

When I started auto tuning the SV or Set temperature value was on 800. I turned it down to 100. I'm not sure if this affects anything, but I didn't want the PID to try and tune itself to 800 degrees. 800 was what it was on when I turned it on.

Should I have left it alone? I set it to 100 as my water was at 85.

When I started auto tuning the SV or Set temperature value was on 800. I turned it down to 100. I'm not sure if this affects anything, but I didn't want the PID to try and tune itself to 800 degrees. 800 was what it was on when I turned it on.

Should I have left it alone? I set it to 100 as my water was at 85.

Yeah, forgot that part:eek: I believe that is what I did with mine except I basically did a complete psuedo mash. The autotune is just an internal algorithm that determines the response times based on the heat losses in you system. I'm pretty sure you can set the SV to whatever you choose for the tuning.

I think the RTD is giving an inaccurate reading. Auto tune has been running for about 45 minutes. I'm recirculating into my mash tun and the PID temp reads 102, but the mash temp thermometer only reads 80.

The RTD appears to be connected properly. Do I need to calibrate it?

Reset PID and tried auto tune again. PID and mash tun were much better aligned in temp, but now it seems to be drifting again. PID PV reads 111, mash tun 140.

Any help is appreciated.

Figured it out. Had to set the inty (sensor type) to p10. Now it's spot on. Just got her auto tuned and ready to go. Need to reorganize my brew space, though to accommodate my control box.

FYI, read the entire PID manual. I skipped some where it got technical, hysteresis band, etc., and it cost me 3 hours of confusion.

Latest posts

Back