120 minute boil = Low TG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
So I have noticed that when brewing a batch of beer that boils for 120min, the terminal gravity tends to be extremely low. I normally boil 90min with great results but my sparge process on my latest batch resulted in more wort than expected, so I decided to boil longer. No signs of infection either.

Has anyone else had this issue with 120min boils?

I assume that the longer boil must breakdown complex sugars.

what was your preboil and post boil gravity. I dont think boiling breaks down sugars I believe its purpose is to denature proteins.

So I have noticed that when brewing a batch of beer that boils for 120min, the terminal gravity tends to be extremely low. I normally boil 90min with great results but my sparge process on my latest batch resulted in more wort than expected, so I decided to boil longer. No signs of infection either.

Has anyone else had this issue with 120min boils?

I assume that the longer boil must breakdown complex sugars.

It's possible some sugars are caramelizing.

If the beers are high gravity the yeast may not be able to eat all the sugar available.

what was your preboil and post boil gravity./QUOTE]

Preboil was 1.053, post 1.065...chimay rouge clone loosely based on the recipe found on brew365. FG is 1.004...hydrometer is fine, recipe below:

22# Golden Promise
1# Caramunich
1/2# Aromatic
2oz Chocolate
1# candi sugar

11 gal yield

Yeast - WLP500

Tastes good though alcohol is hot! Mashed at 151 plus the candi sugar would make really fermentable wort...but that fermentable?

After reviewing my brew notebook, the other 120min boils have been very low FG as well...thus the post to see if anyone else has experienced the same.

With this recipe, I wouldn't say it is the boil. I would be my money on adding the candi sugar. From my I have learned, through experience and reading/Jamil show, that adding sugar will dry a beer out and drive down the final gravity. With the belgians that I have made with adding sugar I have found the fg is extremely low. Just let it age, and you will be super suprised as to how amazing your beer is down the road.

Back