How to improve lace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
A lot of my beers have OK carbonation but lacking in lace on the side of the glass. What can I do to improve this? I force carbonate my beer but I've noticed a lack of lace from a beer I bottled as well.

properly cleaning your glass ware will go along way to improving lacing and head retention. there are LOTS of posts on here about how to clean a beer glass and to check if its clean enough. also do a general google search for "beer clean" glasses. its a real thing.

Protein makes lace.

Brewery clean glasses showcase lace. Try cleaning your glass by wetting it and then rubbing it with table salt. Rinse well and fill.

If it ain't the glass then its a lack of proteins in the beer and could be anything beween the grains used in the mash/extract to the way you fine or filter the beer.

half pound of flaked oats seems to do the trick for me. One recipe i had called for 2 oz of torrified wheat to improve heading

As far as the glass...
If you wash in your dishwasher and use the heat dry setting the residual detergent gets baked on your glass. You can tell this is happening if your glasses are cloudy.
I have noticed lacing seems to develop over time, but I bottle condition.

I have had great lacing from the simplest of recipes (5 lbs DME and 1 lb Crystal 20) so I don't think it comes entirely from the recipe. Having proper carbonation and a really clean glass are the way to go.

Back