Bottle or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I'll try to tip toe into this as not to offend anyone....

I've got a German Wheat that sat in the primary for 10 days and is now on day 4 in the secondary. Had I counted the days before I moved it, I'd have probably just left it alone and not even worried about a secondary, but I didn't, so here's the question.

I leave for Christmas to see family on the 20th, and was hoping to be able to bring a few of the wheats to share between then and the end of my stay on the 28th. Should I bottle the brew now and maximize bottle time, or leave in the secondary and bottle in a few days?

Option 1: 10 day primary, 5 day secondary, about 3+ weeks in the bottle.

Option 2: 10 day primary, __?__ days in secondary, shorter bottle time.

Where's the greatest benefit to drink ability; additional 5 days in secondary or bottle?

I'd say go from primary to bottle. Probably keep in primary for a few extra days.

HOP-HEAD, let me attempt to give you an answer that's actually helpful. :rolleyes:

After 15 total days of fermentation, your beer should actually be ready to bottle (as long as fermentation has halted. Consult your hydrometer.) Leaving it in the secondary longer will just clear it up slightly more as yeasts and protein settle.

If you want better drinkability, bottle it and give it full 3 weeks

Yep, I'd bottle it now so it has close to three weeks in the bottle. Wheat beers aren't supposed to be clear, so that's an added bonus to quick conditioning.

Cool... at least I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon after work.

Unless of course the winds not terrible and I can spend a few hours in a bow stand... then I have evening plans.

Back