Yet another Hot Ferm question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have small batch of a Partial Mash APA (A doctored version of EdWorts Haus Ale)going in a 3 gal carboy right now. It's been in primary for about 12 days so far. Some time around day 4-6 the temps creeped up very high to about 76-78F (yikes). I moved the carboy to a cooler area and its since been hanging out in the 66-70F range. I haven't tried any samples yet (it's a pain taking a gravity sample in a 3 gal carboy with a thief), so I don't know if there are any off flavors. I am assuming that there will be due to the high temps possibly for 2days or more. If I leave it in primary for a little longer will the yeasties "clean-up" any of the off flavors? Is there anything I can do to mask the off flavors (Dry hopping?).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

day 4-6 most fermentation should of slowed for the most part so you might be safe. I had a beer that spend an entire week at 74 before I realized it, it sucked(no my only mistake) but after 6 weeks in the bottle it is pretty good, not great but still good..

I guess that sounds right, this was supposed to be a fast fermenter. I did pitch an entire packet of dry nottingham ale yeast and the batch size was only 2.5 gal. Hopefully the yeasties got most of their hard work out of the way before the big temp increase.
I was considering a dry hop just to try it out so I might still give it a shot.

Back