what is hops coring???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyHillBrewery

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of coring hops? someone at the bar last night was talking about it like it was well known, and common practice...something about taking the center out of the hop... and I hadn't heard of it.(which doesn't really mean all that much) and cant find any info on line.....
just curious i guess..:drunk:

I haven't but that doesn't stop me from answering anyway.

The lupulin glans are at the center of the cone, so maybe he's not being literal but rather just talking about taking the bittering agents (Alpha) from the middle of the hops during the brewing process.

Or maybe he's referring to CO2 extraction of the alpha to turn them into a liquid that the big brewers often use.

Or maybe he was mispronouncing it and meant to say "cop whorring", which of course means to whore yourself out to a cop in order to gain leniency on a potential ticket or trip downtown when you've been at the bar too late.

OK, I made the last one up...but you probably figured that out.

my guess is someone told him that hop pellets were the core of a hop, he belived them and is now talking about it with no knowledge of what he is talking about. Just a guess though.

Ha! cop whorring! well, It was actually a girl, and normally i would call "Bullsh*t" but she runs a local farm and which has several greenhouses and knows quite a bit about growing, and does cider and some brewing herself..and is actually fairly bright... So I figured i'd better do some research on it first before calling her out on it! Ha!!!

She could possibly be referring to the highly guarded technological advance that Miller made a few years back by figuring out how to extract only the 'heart of the hops' which enabled them to produce a beer far superior to any available at that time. I think Mr Ryder has since gone on to a career in politics: http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...SNUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AI4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=2706,2936806.

Cop whorring could be what she was speaking of though~haha!

Back