Soy Sauce and vinegar fermentation buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
I have read several topics on how it is impossible to properly clean a pickle bucket. I have the opportunity to pick up several large food grade buckets that used to hold soy sauce and vinegar. Do you think it would be possible for me to fully clean these for fermentation buckets?

Thanks.

Vinegar is pretty much why pickle buckets don't work. Plus since vinegar is what we don't want our beer, cider, wine, etch to turn into, it's not something I and many others feel safe around out beers.

Soy Sauce buckets seem to clean up fine.

Vinegar is pretty much why pickle buckets don't work. Plus since vinegar is what we don't want our beer, cider, wine, etch to turn into, it's not something I and many others feel safe around out beers.

Soy Sauce buckets seem to clean up fine.

Looks like I will be picking up some soy sauce buckets :). Thanks.

Actually turns out they are 55 gallon drum/buckets. Do you think I will be able to find any practical use for these? Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to live in central Ohio? If so, I just got some of the same barrels. I am using them for some cleaning solutions that we blend. The soy sauce barrels rinsed out just fine with a garden hose and sprayer. Even the vinegar barrels have just a little odor with a simple spray out. If you used some kind of oxy or pbw soak, the soy barrels would work, not sure on the vinegar though, you may be making a vinegar barrel aged beer.

You wouldn't happen to live in central Ohio? If so, I just got some of the same barrels. I am using them for some cleaning solutions that we blend. The soy sauce barrels rinsed out just fine with a garden hose and sprayer. Even the vinegar barrels have just a little odor with a simple spray out. If you used some kind of oxy or pbw soak, the soy barrels would work, not sure on the vinegar though, you may be making a vinegar barrel aged beer.

Nah, I'm in NJ. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the soy barrels. I am going to pick up a few of them just to have for the future.

Back