Oops! Didn' mix the sugar with water..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksj

Reaction score
I got distracted when I was transferring my beer to my keg last weekend and totally skipped the part of mixing the priming sugar with water and boiling it. I just threw the stuff in the keg and started filling it! Am I screwed or will it be okay?

Nah - I've done it before. It should be fine. Hopefully you mixed it extra well when you dumped it in. The primary reason for the boiling is to mix the sugar. Secondary is sanitation. Wouldn't worry at all about sanitation from that little bit of sugar.

Phew! I dumped it in first, the got the siphon hose right down on it. Even gave it a little agitation after it was filled and I topped the keg off with CO2. Should I agitate it more or just leave it be and give it more time (like 3 weeks instead of two)?

Thanks!

Karl

I wouldn't worry about agitating it. Not mixing in a bottling bucket is one thing since your bottles get different amounts, but not mixing in a keg shouldn't make one bit of difference, the yeast will find the sugar! You're right, it might take a little longer, but it's hard to tell. Give it 3 weeks just to rest your mind and let it age a little, then drink away!

Back