Conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So first things first. I don't have conicals. I haven't ever used them. I am interested in having some, but I have seen some serious price tags. I happen to have a welder and can do pretty good stainless work. I have seen some plans on how to build them.

That being said, if I am going to make one I might as well make ten. This is by no means a solicitation, at this point anyway. If I did decide to sell I would register as a vendor.

My questions are, Is there a price point at which people not using conicals would get in? What is that price point? What sizes are people using? Anything I should know?

Thank you

Well, I don't have a stainless conical. Just a 15 gallon polyethylene conical I built for ~$100. That's about my price point. Would love to be able to afford a stainless conical some day. Cheers!!!

I wouldnt reallt be interested unless they were temp controlled. In that cast i might pay 250-300

I wouldnt reallt be interested unless they were temp controlled. In that cast i might pay 250-300

Jon,

Yeah, I think I saw a deluxe temp controlled one for $3000 somewhere. Kinda thinking I might be able to do it a bit cheaper.

Hamilton,

You got pics?

I really want a SS conical although I am pretty happy with my plastic conical (<$100).
I have seen the Chinese 7.5 gal conical on ebay for $240 with all the bells and whistles. I would pay upwards to $350-$400 for one similar that would take a 10gal batch.

That said, from all the research that I have done on them I think the Brewhemoth may be a match for me. It would probably top out at +$600 after adding the valves but that still is cheaper than most of the mainstream conicals. But $600 is a lot of money for me right now so I will be saving up for a while.

I have never used a SS and only use my Plastic homemade conical for 10gal batches.
Due to the large head space I don't like to use it for my 5gal batches.
I am not sure if it would be possible to build one that could be optimized for both 5 and 10 gal batches and fit in a fridge? That would be pretty cool.

Jon,

Yeah, I think I saw a deluxe temp controlled one for $3000 somewhere. Kinda thinking I might be able to do it a bit cheaper.

Hamilton,

You got pics?

Yeah I just can't justify paying that much for small batches. let's say a Sanyo 4912, temp controller, and carboy are around $340. I guess i'd pay that much or maybe a bit more but otherwise....

Hamilton, You got pics?
Here are a few... Conical & Fermentation Temp Control were ~$325 for materials (some I had on hand), and not counting my time of course. Cheers!!!

ConicalFermenter001.jpg

ConicalFermenter003.jpg

ConicalFermenter006.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

Back