Stater ? Yes its worthy ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
1. If I make a starter yeast = 100billon cells and turn them into 300billon cells befor I pitch ... ?

2. Making stater yeast is all about maximizing the cell cout befor a pitch ?

3. THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION : So if I just pitch the yeast into the wort with out a starter will my yeast not multiply ? Why is it important to have a higher yeast count when i pitch ? The wort will act as a starter and up my yeast count ? RITE ?

Well, sorta.

To simplify: your yeast population will certainly grow as you pitch it into the beer, and it will produce a wide diversity of metabolic byproducts as it does so. If you pitch too much yeast, you won't have enough of these byproducts. If you pitch too little, you'll have to much of them. What exactly counts as the "right amount" is up to you to decide, but the pitching rate calculators offer a rule of thumb to get you in the right ballpark.

So when I make a starter how do I know how many cells im producing ?

Example : I make a starter off 100billon cell cout liqiud yeast. How much malt/fementible sugars to obtane 350billon cells , How much water to use ? Is there a formula for this ?

Back