Another forgot to purge keg, plus I shook it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
So I forgot to purge my keg after filling it yesterday and I also shook the hell out of it after it cooled down most of the way with 25 PSI on it. I did get pretty close to filling it full so there wasn't that much headspace in it from the beginning. I just went ahead and purged it but I'm afraid the damage is done. Is there hope or anything I should do? Should I take the gas off and keep purging it to let it go flat and start over? It's pretty carbonated (or oxygenated) already.

Beer out-gasses CO2 during the racking process, so the headspace will have little oxygen in it. Purging is a good idea, but it is unlikely you'll have a problem.

Because if the beer was chilled before you carbonated at 25 psi, it will foam. Now, if you carbonated at 25 psi and then chilled it, no problem.

It didn't reach equilibrium with the gas on at 25, so overcarbonation isn't my issue.

Because if the beer was chilled before you carbonated at 25 psi, it will foam. Now, if you carbonated at 25 psi and then chilled it, no problem.

If I'm in a hurry and shaking my keg to carb, I chill it first, then put about 30psi on it, shake the crap out of it, and repeat 2 to 3 more times. Never have foam problems here. I could see it being way overcarbed if he just chilled it and set it at 25 psi to carb without shaking though.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even purging isn't perfect. You pressurize, pull the ring, wait, pull the ring, wait, pull the ring. The whole time CO2 is mixing with "air" and your simply lowering the ratio of the two. It's nearly impossible to get ALL oxygen out of a keg, even with little headspace.

I'm sure it could be argued either way, but unless you plan to leave it in there to age for a LONG time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Drink on! I'm guessing the keg will be empty long before that oxygen gets to your beer. (At least that's been my experience so far)

And shaking a keg is fine. Yea, overcarbing sucks. Don't do that. I sometimes shake to speed up the process. In fact I'll do that next weekend when I take my fresh Irish Stout to FL on vacation. I'm NOT waiting 3 weeks! Just make sure you shake to get close you your desired volumes, but not over. Then let it finish naturally in a day or two.

Back