What are good places to buy beer in the Denver area??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I'll be in Denver and the Denver area next week and I'd like to pick up some of the delicious Colorado beers I can't get much of here in Illinois. Are there any big liquor stores that carry a wide selection?

I can't help you with stores, but I highly recommend visiting the Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver - their on-tap selection is outstanding. There are also numerous excellent breweries in the area - Redstone Meadery, Boulder Beer & Avery in Boulder, for instance, and Great Divide in Denver, among others. Oskar Blues also isn't too far away.

The ones I have visited had interesting tours and lots of samples.

Denver - Argonaut
South of Denver - Lukas or Davidson in Lone Tree
North of Denver - Total Beverage in Westminster
West of Denver - Applejack
Southwest of Denver - Tipsy's

Wayne has it right, I'll add my two cents though;).....

wife and I went to Tipsys (C470 & Bowles) for the first time a few months ago, great store and selection....if you go make sure to go all the way back left in the store to their "cold room"....this is where you'll find lots of hard to find stuff from all over the world. Of course their regular glass from coolers are well stocked with most CO micros, etc

Total Beverage on 104th (east of I-25 a few blocks) good selection, lots of singles as well for a make your own 6er.

Do go to the Falling Rock if you have a chance...also if your a Belgian fan the Cheeky Monky is good.

What part of the city are you staying in?

I don't know about beer stores. But if I'm in downtown Denver, I usually try to stop by Wynkoop and Rock Bottom Brewery for lunch or dinner.

Also in downtown, Great Divide, Blake Street Tavern (Flying Dog beers), Breckenridge Brewery.

For a good cheeseburger and English beers....My Brothers Bar @ 15th and Platte over by REI

Thanks everyone! I was able to stop at Applejack and picked up some 7 sixers and a bottle of mead. So far my favorite has been an IPA from Upslope brewery. "Boulders newest brewery" according to their site. Picked up some 90 schilling which I've only read about on here and it was excellent as well. I also had an ale on tap that the bartender told me was the beer that Fat Tire cloned. It was really good too, like fat tire only really good, lol. Let me know if you know what the name of that beer/brewery is. Thanks again for leading me to the light!

It's worth going to Great Divide for the tasters and cheap beer. Also, not sure what your plans are, but I'm having some friends over tonight to brew a barleywine, and I'm about 7 blocks from Great Divide. Tag along if you'd like.

It's worth going to Great Divide for the tasters and cheap beer. Also, not sure what your plans are, but I'm having some friends over tonight to brew a barleywine, and I'm about 7 blocks from Great Divide. Tag along if you'd like.

Are you doing an AG Barley wine? I have yet to do one but really want to. Whereabouts are you in relation to GD? I am in Five Points? so also a stones throw from GD

Mind if I invite myself over. I got homebrews!!!!:D

Sorry for the late addition but I wanted to add one more for future reference.

For those that mentioned Argonaut, I couldn't diagree more. I've always felt their selection was piss poor. When they built their new store I was excited because I thought their selection would grow. And boy did it. Craft beers selection is the same as before but the BMC section is more prominent than ever. Way to go!

While looking for some Pliny a month back, I was told by an employee, "the selection here is actually pretty limited. Check out Colorado Liquor Mart on Colorado Blvd near the Kings."

A couple of weeks later I checked it out and was impressed. They had a great selection of chilled bombers (found my Pliny). Also, ask an employee to see their selection in back. The have a whole other shelf of product they can't fit up front.

Colorado Liquor Mart
865 S. Colorado Boulevard

Back