Decarbonating Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
I had a batch of Pinot Pymet that finished up just off-dry in the carboy. At around 5months after pitching i bottled the batch in beer bottles. Well these are all carbonated at about the normal level of carbonation for beer. I suspect because I didn't stabilize the mead, it decided to ferment the remaining sugars in the bottle.
I like the mead OK but the other day I decided to try to decarbonate the pymet before drinking by pouring it back and forth between two glasses. I really liked the decarbonated mead better, but i don't want to have to go through that process every time i open a bottle. So I want to try to decarbonate some of the mead and rebottle it still.

Here is my idea, let me know if you have any suggestions or recommendations:

Take a 4l glass jug with airlock.
Add 1 Campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a small amount of water.
Open the bottles of mead and pour them into the jug.
Leave them degas for a couple months
Rebottle the now still mead.

OK how does it look? If i like the results I may do a couple more jugs full which would be most of the pymet.

Craig

Sounds like a plan.
The Campden should help protect against oxidation, and the mead will protect itself during pouring, as it will have plenty of c02 coming out of solution when you dump it. to speed the process, use a degasing whip a day or so after you dump to the 4L bottle. You'll be able to just whipt the c02 out, and then bottle.

Too much work. All you really need to do is stir it once it's in the glass.

If you are drinking several use a pitcher then stir the carbonation out of it.

Works with sodas too. Around our house we blow in a straw (works faster this way) since our granddaughter doesn't like carbonated drinks. ;)

Its a fine idea - Its just a matter of how long you plan to store your mead after this manipulation. If you plan on drinking within a couple of weeks then you could skip the sulfite addition and use mechanical stirring or shaking to degass it. If you want to store for longer you will have to add sulfite and limit the amount of agitation (ie no stirring) to limit oxidation. If you have a source of Nitrogen gas then you can bubble this trough to strip out the CO2 (this is how some of the larger factory wineries degass their wines before bottling.)

Well if I do this I will want to be able to store these bottles for years, so I think sulphite and time is my best method rather than manipulation and no chemicals.

I will have give stirring in the glass a chance. I still would like to have some bottles still that are ready to drink when opened.

Craig

Back