Correct Size Hole Saw for Water Heater Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
This is not to discuss the pros and cons of Hole Saw vs. Step Bit.

I have a step-bit that is great for 1" holes but I know that it is too small for my water heater element. I did a test run with my PID and element in an old fermenter.

For anyone who has used a hole saw for a 1" Straight Thread Element and then used a 1" lock nut to secure it on the inside of the kettle utilizing the supplied gasket, what size Hole Saw did you use?

McMaster has bi-metal hole saws in 1/16" increments

Mcmaster lists 1" NPT OD at 1.315" at the threads. It would seem that 1-3/8" hole would be ideal (1.375"), I don't think you're going to get there with a 1-3/8" hole saw. They walk, creep, whatever you want to call it and the hole will be bigger than the spec of the saw. I'd go with 1-1/4" and file it out to the right size. I'd also recommend doing a test hole in a similar material before doing the real deal.

edit: Sorry, I saw your no hole saw vs step bit after I posted.

I opted to use a larger step bit from Harbor Freight. They came in a package of 2, one small one big, for around 15 bucks I think. This worked perfect for me, I just had to file off a little burr on the inside. As Bobby suggested it is better to go smaller and use hand tools to make it fit perfectly.

Here is the link for what I used Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Mike

If you want to keep the hole saw from walking, use a pilot bit and also bore a hole in a block of wood with your saw and use that as a guide. Make sure you're lined up with the bit and should have no trouble.

Back