My hop lineup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanIPA

Reaction score
This is going to be my first brew. I am going to make an IPA! I am thinking of doing 3oz Nugget at 60, for the bitter aspect of the beer. 2oz Armarillo at 15 for the citrus flavor I want. Finally I am going to do 1oz Columbus at 0 for aroma.
How does this sound?

Well, with three ounces of nugget at 60 minutes, it should be BITTER all right. I like amarillo alot, but columbus can be harsh at times with late additions.

We'd have to see the whole recipe to give specific advice, but I'd probably go more with:

1 ounce nugget 60 (or to 45 IBUs or so with this addition, depending on OG of the beer)
1 ounce amarillo 15 minutes
.5 columbus 5 minutes
1 ounce amarillo 0 minutes
dryhop with .5 ounce columbus and 1 ounce amarillo

That's assuming an IPA style of beer.

Thanks man. I don't have the whole recipe yet, this is just me trying to get an idea of what to do. I have so many ideas I am just trying to get some advice to narrow this down. I appreciate the input! With only 1oz of nugget at the beginning you think it will be bitter enough?

Thanks man. I don't have the whole recipe yet, this is just me trying to get an idea of what to do. I have so many ideas I am just trying to get some advice to narrow this down. I appreciate the input! With only 1oz of nugget at the beginning you think it will be bitter enough?

Probably. It's hard to say without knowing the OG of the beer, so I'd have to guess at the probable amount of IBUs. Once you have the grain bill made, you can post it up and we can run it through some brewing software and eyeball it for you and see if it's correct. It's important to know the OG first, as well as any other ingredients (like caramel malt) that can impact the hops bitterness.

Sorry about the man, it's a bad habit I have. Always saying man, thank you though

I am tweaking a basic IPA recipe from a local home brew store. With my my hops and stuff how would I find out the difference in OG and IBU and ABV? When I have the recipe in front of me I'll post it!

Go to a recipe builder like brewers friend or beersmith and calculate your recipe. 3oz of Nugget @ 60 is an insane amount of bittering hops for a 5 gallon batch.

Edit, just threw 3oz of nugget in an ipa recipe of mine on brewerfriend....it calculates out to about 133IBUs just for that addition.

Not to be a negative nancy but perhaps you should use someone else's recipe for your first brew. Not to say you cant make up your own recipe, but you will likely set yourself up for a better chance of success using a proven one.

So you don't end up with a malt bill with 85% crystal malts like my friend brandon, or 133IBUs in a moderate gravity beer, ect. Trust me, you'll have enough mental stimulation on your first brew day even without having to worry about the recipe.

Thank you I will check that out! Haha 133 IBU, maybe I should tweak it just a bit!

Not to be a negative nancy but perhaps you should use someone else's recipe for your first brew. Not to say you cant make up your own recipe, but you will likely set yourself up for a better chance of success using a proven one.

So you don't end up with a malt bill with 85% crystal malts like my friend brandon, or 133IBUs in a moderate gravity beer, ect. Trust me, you'll have enough mental stimulation on your first brew day even without having to worry about the recipe.

Agree but disagree, I personally created my own recipe for my first brew and it came out very well, but then again I had been around brewing a couple years prior to me starting to brew myself so..

Jordo!! I'm all about creating your own recipe.....then you know whether or not what you did screwed it up or made it beautiful. I personally haven't used any of these hops yet so I don't know what you will get out of it. Are you going to dry hop it? I heard on a podcast with Mitch Steele (brewer with Stone Brewing) that they dry hop with one pound per barrel which on a homebrew scale is 0.5 ounces per gallon. I think you could get away with a little less, maybe 1.5-2 ounces per 5 gallon batch and still get good aroma.

My first IPA was with summit and cascade hops. It tastes like a grapefruit bomb. Good IPA, not great. Totally drinkable though.

Back