SG Too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlin

Reaction score
Hi , Just wondering, I am brewing a high gravity trappist ale and the instructions call for start gravity between 1.064 - 1.068 and i am getting 1.078 is this a problem or do i add water to corect it ? I have topped it to 5.0 gallons

If it's extract just stir it for a while longer then re-test, probably not properly mixed, hard to miss gravity with extract.

If it's an extract brew, grab the recipe number and assume that as your gravity. If you hit your volumes and used all of the extract you were supposed to use, you CANNOT miss the number.

More likely is that you don't have the top off water and the wort thoroughly mixed (it's very hard to do) - you'll pull a sample that is more water (lower OG) or more wort (higher OG).

Don't worry, the yeast will mix it for you.

Hey , Thanks for the replies ... Yes it is a extract and supposed to come out around 8+ ABV so i just went ahead and mixed well then tossed the yeast so closed it up and we'll see how it goes... Thanks again

No worries. My first two brews, I was convinced that I was some kind of mad scientist that was creating beers with double the expected ABV.

I was, in fact, just a noob. :cross:

Back