What beer could you not live without?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Big name or home brew, what beer would make you fall apart if you couldn't drink or make it anymore? If it's a particular style, go ahead and list it. I love a beer in Switzerland called Hirnibraeu. It's a classic German-style lager. I live knowing that I might go back there one day to get another one.

I really like Summit Saga IPA. It has been readily available and for $7 a six pack its a great beer. I believe it topped 90 on BA. If I have none of my own I reach for this every time.

Honestly and I might get flamed for this but its Boston Lager.
I hated it at first but now its a go to any time drinker for me.
The fact that its American Owned and made makes it all that much better.
I like almost everything produced by the Sam Adams company but not all. I am certainly not a fan boy but they make some tasty stuff. They are a company anyone should be proud to support.

Franziskaner Dunkel. For some reason it just never gets old. Plus, they serve it in a 20oz boot shaped glass at my favorite spot...

Love my American IPAs I guess I'd go with for a specific beer that's much harder since I don't have a go to beer. I guess my favorite that I have often is Victory Hop Wallop.

Right now I am often buying and really like:

1. Fire Stone Walker Union Jack IPA
2. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
3. Stone IPA
4. Stone Ruination IPA

I used to have a few favs, but as time has gone on and I've brewed the same styles and/or tried more commercial brews I don't really have a favorite. I can never turn down an Imperial Stout or Doppelbock though.

I wouldn't file it under "can't live without", but if I had to drink just one beer until the end of my life, I'd pick Augustiner Helles. While I love my hoppy bitter IPAs and crisp pilseners, Augustiner is a basic no frills Lager done perfectly.

I truly enjoy almost all beer styles. If I lost any one of them the others could easily take its spot. My two favorites are big Belgiums and very hoppy double IPAs. Lose one wouldnt be a big deal, but lose both I would be quite disheartened.

Too many amazing beers to choose from, but if Firestone Walker ever shuts there doors I'd cry for sure.

I could easily live without beer, don't get me wrong I friggin' love beer. Especially my own, but I could live without it - no problem.

But if you change the question a bit to: if you had to give up a single beer - which one would it be? Then it'd be harder to answer. Either my Scottish Export 80 Shilling or my last IPA.

If I had to pick a commercial beer, then it'd be Brewdog's Tokyo.

I will second skw's vote for Augustiner Helles. One of our local liquor stores has six packs for the outrageous price of $15, but I rarely buy it because it doesn't travel well, and that's a lot of money for a sixer. But sitting in a beer garden in Bavaria, drinking liter after liter of Augustiner? Well, life just doesn't get much better.

As for domestic craft beer, it would probably be Dale's Pale Ale for me.

Plus 1,000 for Dale's pale ale. Oskar blue's rocks! BP around the corner carries it for 8 or 9 bucks a 6'r of cans.

Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold

I don't drink it very often, but when I do, it's mana from heaven.

A close second is several varieties of RIS.

I'm not hung up on specific brands as there are always alternatives, but I can say that there are two styles that I would be miserable without.

1.) Belgian Wit (Hoegaarden style with Belgian yeast...not the Blue Moon version)
2.) American IPAs

I will second skw's vote for Augustiner Helles. One of our local liquor stores has six packs for the outrageous price of $15, but I rarely buy it because it doesn't travel well, and that's a lot of money for a sixer. But sitting in a beer garden in Bavaria, drinking liter after liter of Augustiner? Well, life just doesn't get much better.

As for domestic craft beer, it would probably be Dale's Pale Ale for me.

I would have to 3rd this..Augustiner Helles is probably the best beer in the world, IMO. I buy it from time to time. It's a little different from the helles in Munich, but it's really good. Weihstephaner original and Uflecku a Bohemium Dunkle would be right behind.

I don't think I could do without hardy brown ales. They might not be too fancy but for me they're a perfect anytime beer.

Back