Newbie in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladyhazle

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a stay-at-home-mom to a great little boy. My husband and I have been talking about brewing for years and I finally worked up the nerve to try it as a birthday present for him. There was no way I was going to hide a 5 gallon batch and we have a very small space to begin with, so I bought a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit and jumped right in with the all grain. I'm loving it and instantly addicted! :D

My brother-in-law brews as well and has been a great source of help and know-how. I have lurked on the forums here for a long while and found a wealth of answers to my many questions.

That's all for now, I'm off to bottle my first batch! Wish me luck, I need lots of it.

Thanks.

Welcome from the other side of the Columbia! I'm new here as well, if you couldn't tell by my post count. I just began brewing a few months back and found myself similarly addicted. It is a craft I have grown to love and I constantly find myself on the forum's, or google-ing, or reading articles to gain more knowledge!

What type of beer did you brew?

+1

Thank you for the welcome. Both my husband and I are really into IPA's right now. The hoppier the better. :p So, I started with Brooklyn Brew Shops Everyday IPA. Since it is only a gallon, I started my second batch on the same day I bottled the first! It is also an IPA, but one I adapted from another recipe. We grew a surprisingly good crop of Magnum hops this year on our dock and so I used those and Centennials. Crossing my fingers that it turns out. haha. I unfortunately have to wait until next month to really start tasting these brews since I'm 9 months pregnant! A strange time to start brewing, I know, but again it was for my husband's birthday. It was just a happy accident that I ended up loving the process and plan on doing many, many more in the future!

There are so many Oregon brews to choose from, and more cropping up every week it seems. My favorites have always come from Rogue or Deschutes, but a friend of ours in Vancouver brews amazing beers under the name, Mt. Tabor Brewing. His selections are my current favorites.

Mt. Tabor! A good family friend of mine is very good friends with Eric. Have yet to visit the taproom due to my work schedule but I hear such good things!

I told the family friend to give Eric my cell # and if he wants any good free help when he brews on the weekends to give me a call!

Magnum for bittering+Centennial for flavor, aroma, dry hopping is a good combination for IPAs and PAs period.
Enjoy the new hobby, if you guys are into it, beware, it can quickly become addicting!
You're in the right area for commercial IPAs too, my wife and I just had some of HUB's seasonals, including a tasty fresh hop IPA called Powell Estate. Worth a try.

Eric is great! He gave us a lot of good advice for growing our Magnums this year. I can't wait to see what kind of yield we get next year!

I have nine months of catching up to do on my beer tasting. haha.

Well I am not from Oregon but welcome and make sure you update us on the IPA you made when you can taste it.

Back