Resin-y IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the resin/dank characteristics of some IPAs, and I wanted to try making one. Although I drink a lot of them, I've only brewed one IPA before, so I lack some experience here. Here's my shot:

9# 2row
2.5# Munich
1# sugar
4oz Special B
2oz Black Patent (for color)

I will mix two ounces each of Nugget, Chinook, and Columbus and add the following charges:

1oz @FWH
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 10
1oz @ 5
2oz DH

That gives me... OG 1.067, 60 IBU, 13 SRM

Look decent? :mug:

Personally, I'd up the IBU and ditch the patent malt. I like to have a IBU:gravity point ratio of 1 or greater for IPA (you'd need ~67 IBU for a BU:GU ratio of one in that beer). Shoot for ~45-50 IBU from your FW add, and then keep the big late adds, shooting for around ~75-80 IBU total, or more if you want a ton of hops flavor and aroma. I really like your hop choices and the grain bill seems very nice, aside from the patent. The Special B will give you a nice color, and the simplified grain bill will help the hops shine.

Cool. I'm calculating my FWH as 20 min additions, is that how it is done? So, I think I'll just up the FWH to 2 oz. That will put me at 44 IBUs for the FWH and 81 IBUs overall.

I did want this to be darker though, around 12-13 SRM. Is there a way to accomplish that without the patent? Belgian debittered or up the Special B? Not like it is the end of the world if it is 9 SRM anyway though.

Yeah, you could get away with upping the Special B a bit, although I'd definitely keep it under ~7% of the total grain bill. 44 IBU from your FW add will give the beer a nice bitterness without being over the top and it leaves a lot of room for late hopping to get to ~80 IBU. You could also do a big knockout addition for bigger hop aroma without affecting the bitterness too much. I really like the 0 min addition that get's steeped for 10-20 mins in a pungent IPA.

I just brewed something verrrrrry similar. I used simcoe instead of nugget (although reading your recipe makes me wish I'd done what you did) and 8oz Special B. My partially carbonated sample was promising.

Since the Special B is your only caramel malt, I would up it a little, even though I'm generally anti-caramel. Depending on how dry you want your final product, you could replace the sugar with more Munich; I think a little extra maltiness and body might enhance the resiny/dank aspect.

I wouldn't use more than 7% Light Munich and Sugar each. Nix the Special B and Black Patent; roasty & toasty doesn't mesh well with resiny & dank. Add some carapils and/or wheat for body. Maybe 2-3% crystal. Mash around 151 F.

Skip the FWH and go with traditional bittering. Use pellets. When I think dank and resiny, I don't think smooth bitterness. I want a little bite to mesh with the edgy character of the IPA. Russian Rivver would never FWH Elder or Younger. You don't have to bitter them as much as these beers, but try to apply the same concept.

Go with Apollo, Summit, and Columbus on the hops. Those are your resiny monsters. Nugget could be used as a post boil aroma steep to bring some stone fruit and herbal traits to the party without erasing the dank main character profile. Chinook gives you more grapefruit than anything else... It's almost like Centennial and Columbus mixed.

Double up on the 15 minute addition. Move 10 to 7, and 5 to 0. Double up on those two additions also.

Dryhop with another ounce or two for 5-8 days. Use a clean American Ale yeast starter.

I recently brewed a "Session" IPA. Expecting to get very resin-y notes.

4% ABV
Zero Crystal Malt!!

Two Row and a touch of Carapils and Sugar.

Simcoe and Columbus

Grain to keg in 14 days

Latest posts

Back