StarSan - does it keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Train

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

I've been using StarSan to sanitize my equipment. Last time I followed a great suggestion I saw on the boards here to put some in a spray bottle - it was really handy!

Anyway I had about half a bottle left over. My question is: can I stick this under the kitchen sink and use it next time, or does the solution need to be freshly mixed each time to work? Thanks!

P.S. this is my first post - I'm a new homebrewer with my first ever batch just bottled this weekend (Brewer's Best American Amber Kit), and my second batch in my primary! (Brewer's Best English Brown Ale)

I usually mix up 5 gallons and reuse until the PH reads about 3. It lasts me for a few brews and bottling/keg sessions.

I've found if I mix Starsan with distilled water it will keep for months. If I mix it with tap water it's only good for a few days.

Starsan lasts an insane amount of time.

Most of the time I make it with distilled water.
My water turns it cloudy very fast, about 48 hours.
When I make out of the tap I have to mix it about 1/4oz a gallon to get the PH right, and I just use that batch first until it cant make PH (never happened) or I get sick of looking at the cloudy starsan.

I mixed up 5 gallons a few months ago with well water. Ph is still around 2.5. I think this stuff lasts a while.

I've found if I mix Starsan with distilled water it will keep for months. If I mix it with tap water it's only good for a few days.

How do you know that it is or is not keeping? What criteria do you even use? I mean without a microscope to see if the bacteria die, I don't see how you can tell.

Thanks for the input guys - I just read through the whole StarSan thread regarding the Charlie Talley thread too and I'm feeling a lot more confident that my sanitation has hopefully been good.

Can't wait to try my first homebrew in a couple weeks! :mug:

How do you know that it is or is not keeping? What criteria do you even use? I mean without a microscope to see if the bacteria die, I don't see how you can tell.

exactly. i think as long as the ph is under the 3, it should work, i dont think it matters if it is cloudy, tap, or DI water.

Back