Adding chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan2

Reaction score
I have a great Loco Coco that I make. It is chocolate, sugar, vanilla, and powdered chocolate habanero. The mix is liquid and would be hot when added. When would be the best time to add to the boil? I'm thinking the last 5 min. I'm adding it to a sweet porter.

If you need to add it while it is hot to keep it fluid I would add it at the end of the boil like you mention. If you can though, I would try to cool it down and add it after primary fermentation is complete (when you rack to secondary, if you rack to secondary). The sugar will ferment out, but most of the aroma and flavor of the rest of the mixture will survive better if put through less fermentation activity.

I am skeptical of adding chocolate anything to a brew in the boil or at any time during primary fermentation. The first time I attempted to add around a pound of cocoa powder to a 23 L batch of chocolate orange stout, I had zero fermentation activity and the batch ended up being dumped. Came to read some indications online that cocoa contains some anti-fungal agents that can inhibit the growth of yeast. Go figure.

My second go-around, I added the cocoa at the start of secondary fermentation, by making a hot slurry as you describe and pouring it into the carboy. Turned out fantastic. I'm of the opinion that this is the way to go. The yeast is firmly established at this point, so no worries about fermentation problems. I am also told that cold extraction in the presence of alcohol helps to draw out the flavours better, whereas flavour might otherwise be boiled and/or bubbled away if added during boil or primary fermentation

I do 2 weeks for primary and 2 weeks for secondary. I will try this in the secondary then and see how it comes out. I'm putting this in a keg so if it comes out delish it might not last long. Thanks for the advice.

The chocolate cherry stout is great this year. The recipe is my own, but is basically a simple oatmeal stout with cocoa powder added to the mash, cherry juice concentrate added to secondary, and additional cocoa powder and vanilla extract added at bottling. I have made it four times now (I think), altering the recipe a bit each time. I can get you more details on the recipe when I am around my notes later if there is interest.

I once added powdered bakers chocolate toward the end of a boil. It wasn't the best tasting beer, but the chocolate flavor was definitely noticeable.

Back