Who has a beer cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I've been looking into cellaring some beers. I have a case of Stone Epic 7-7-07, a case of Stone XI Anniversary Ale, and a couple of misc others. I was thinking about getting a chest freezer and using it only as a cellar.

Could the temp be kept around 50* with an external thermostat?

Does anybody else use a fridge or freezer?

I think that it would be my best bet for keeping a constant temperature year round. Some places say that corked beers should be stored on their side to keep the cork moist, others say to keep it upright.

My only concern is the humidity level in the fridge. I'm not sure if it would be humid enough. Is there any way I could correct this?

I was thinking about maybe constructing an exterior cabinet, like a humidor.

What do you guys think?

Dunno...I keep my beer cellared in my cellar...basement. It's about 68f in the summer and lower 60's in the winter. I don't think I could justify the extra $$ for a freezer though. Humidity shouldn't matter much...this isn't wine.

I store mine under the house. The temp is around 52 in the winter and 58 during the hottest days of summer. Can't justify powering a second fridge.

I keep mine in the same closet that i ferment in, stays around 65-70 depending on the A/C.

Cheers

To answer your question (at least your first one) you can get an external controller to keep a freezer at 50

Johnson controls as well as a few others make some reasonable ones. most online HBS have them available

I have a cellar....and there is plenty of beer in it. So I suppose I have a "beer cellar" :)

Don't think that I would pay for and power a fridge for the sole purpose of cellaring beer though.

brewt00l said:
I have a cellar....and there is plenty of beer in it. So I suppose I have a "beer cellar" :)

Don't think that I would pay for and power a fridge for the sole purpose of cellaring beer though.

what is the temp of your "cellar"?:cross:

Back