Stand for 53 gallon Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
My HBC is getting a 53 gallon barrel and we're going to age an imperial stout. I tried a search but couldn't find much, maybe I wasn't using the right terms. Anybody have any pictures of things they've built to hold one of these oak barrels on its side? Or some tips? I'm thinking a sheet of 3/4" plywood and some 2x4's and see what happens.

I'm guessing the dimensions of the one I get are similiar or exact to this:

"These barrels will hold approximately 53 gallons of valuable rain water. They are 36'' tall, 21'' in diameter at the top and bottom, and 24'' in diameter in the middle. They weigh approximately 125 lbs empty, and are held together by 6 double riveted steel hoops."

Maybe try something like this.

5901186-wine-barrel-on-stand.jpg

or this.

4,10016.html

Beer weighs a little bit more than water so lets say about 9lb per gallon. (9x53)+125= 602lbs. That is a lot of weight and what I have seen used to hold a wooden barrel on it's side are made from rough milled lumber that is much stronger than the quick growth pine lumber at the big blue or orange stores Maybe you could build V shaped braces out of 4x6 posts. 2 with say a 45deg angle and one with a 60deg angle for the middle since it is wider.

Here is a site that has a good example of what is fairly standard in the wine industry

http://www.westernsquare.com/wine_and_vine/steel_brack.html

Here are some bad pictures of my barrel stand. Its a little tight in the room I have it in.

Library - 1557.jpg

Library - 1556.jpg

Library - 1555.jpg

Library - 1554.jpg

Its on casters so I can roll it around. I just used a couple 2x4s and some 5/8 nuts and bolts. been sitting there for over a year now.

Back