Favorite Yeast for Czech Pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I am going to brew on next weekend and need to get to work on a huge starter. I am overwhelmed at the variety of yeast for this style of lager. I would love to read any and all thoughts, recommendations, and experiences using any yeast to make a Czech Pils.

Also, on a somewhat related note. I know Wyeast Urquell 2001 is only one of five strains of yeast in Pilsner Urquell. Has anyone blended yeast strains on this style?

Thanks!

I am going to brew on next weekend and need to get to work on a huge starter. I am overwhelmed at the variety of yeast for this style of lager. I would love to read any and all thoughts, recommendations, and experiences using any yeast to make a Czech Pils.

Also, on a somewhat related note. I know Wyeast Urquell 2001 is only one of five strains of yeast in Pilsner Urquell. Has anyone blended yeast strains on this style?

Thanks!

I have made it with Wyeast 2124 and their kolsch yeast. The better tasting one, no lie, was the kolsch yeast. It was much cloudier though.

The 2001 or 2278 Wyeast strains or White Lab WLP-800 would be my choice. The actual yeast(s) used in Urqell are shrouded in mystery but those two commercial cultures are very good. Other Czech, German and American types can make a good beer but IMO they are all too bland and one-dimensional it you are looking for the subtle complexities found in Pilsner Urqell.

Back