Possible infected starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am looking to brew a bavarian hefe soon and started bring my yeast starter up from a slant of wlp 300. This is my first time using this yeast and first time cultureing up a hefe yeast. The starter was cultured from 10ml to 100ml to 1000ml. So this morning I took a sample from the starter to taste to make sure everything was good and the sample has a slight tartness to it. Not smack you in the face tart but also Im not getting any banana or clove taste. The starter wort was all extra light dme so I dont think there is any wheat in it. So has anybody ever worked with this yeast enough to know if that is a normal flavor? And is it possible that its from the non wheat base wort? Thanks in advance.

It wasnt acidic tart but just seemed to have a slight sourness to it. I think my starter temp was somewhere around 70 degrees. I ended up stepping it up to a full liter starter and it worked fine. I think it was just the taste of the hefe yeast that seemed to give it the tartness. The beer fermented out fine and tasted great so I guess I just was a little paranoid.

Back