Using Gelatin When Racking Causes Too Much Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGravity

Reaction score
Anyone know how to prevent all the extra foam that appears when putting gelatin into the carboy? I wasted 2 litres of beer when transferring the lager, and its the same prob with the IPA too.

This is mys first time using gelatin, so I boiled 300mL of water, waited till it cooled to 160-170, stirred in the gelatin and looks good, then added in to the bottom of the carboy after 5 min (maybe 120F?). It foamed MUCH more than normal and with guests over and flies in my kitchen I just tossed the extra away :(

Now I've got the both containers of the IPA sitting open to wait for the foam to die. How can I avoid this? I can't cold crash as I don't have space...

Thanks for your input

The one time I used gelatin (so far) I poured the gelatin solution into the 2ndary carboy a few days after I'd racked the beer. No foaming at all. I can't cold crash either.

After some searching I found the way ppl like to do Gelatin is:

1) beer is almost ready to bottle
2) Beer is cold crashed...can just be in a plastic trash can filled with ice for 2 days
3) gelatin is added on top of cold beer, because it will float down picking up the chill haze as it works.

Give gelatin 24-48 hours

After some searching I found the way ppl like to do Gelatin is:

1) beer is almost ready to bottle
2) Beer is cold crashed...can just be in a plastic trash can filled with ice for 2 days
3) gelatin is added on top of cold beer, because it will float down picking up the chill haze as it works.

Give gelatin 24-48 hours

+1. However, I would give the gelatin 3 to 4 days. A homebrewer on the NB forum posted pix at 1,2 3, & 4 days. There was a visual difference between the 2nd & 3rd day in clarity.

Cheers,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back