fermentation temp starting to fall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
So, I have a pale ale (1.048) that started fermenting at 64F using Wyeast 1272 Am Ale II. I brewed it on the 30th, so now that fermentation is starting to slow, and it got quite a bit colder outside, the brewmometer is now reading 59-61, and it's expected to get colder outside. Wyeast says keep Am Ale II between 60-72.

Fermentation was strong, I used a 1 liter starter. I'm not sure if it's at it's FG, I'm not at home to take a reading, but my question is, should I leave it downstairs, or bring it up to the 68-70F upstairs? Is there such a thing as "diacetyl rest" for ales?

thanks.

I agree. I'd bring it upstairs and get it back up to about 68 degrees. There is such thing as a diacetyl rest with ales, but I don't think you've allowed the temperature to drop far enough to worry to much about that. I'd just bring it back upstairs and give it a couple of days, then take a gravity reading.

Latest posts

Back