German Sauer/Acidulated malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this stuff is used to lower the PH since it naturally contains lactic acid. What would happen if you were to use a much higher percent of it? THe point would be to add a subtle sourness without Having to use lactobacilli. You guys think this would work? What percent would you ballpark recommend?

eh yeah it'd lend a sourness after a good bit I would think, but if you're going to go the easy route, you might as well just buy some lactic acid and add it to the finished beer.

It takes a bit to add the sourness, and it doesn't give the flavor you would think. I didn't like it, personally, although I still use it in some beers (in small quantities)

I see. I was wondering because I've been told that lactoBs don't like high IBU beers. I'd rather not just add lactic acid in, I'd rather derive it from the malts if not from lactobacilli themselves. I was told they tend to work poorly in 10 to 20+ IBUs. Any workarounds you guys know of?

I used it at 3.5% in a recent beer. And I think it gives the beer a subtle sourness, but I could be projecting what I think/hope it should taste like.

As for it being the easy route... Isn't sour malt just regular malt that's already undergone a sour mash? And that's why it was used by Reinheitsgebot-conscious brewers?

I see. I was wondering because I've been told that lactoBs don't like high IBU beers. I'd rather not just add lactic acid in, I'd rather derive it from the malts if not from lactobacilli themselves. I was told they tend to work poorly in 10 to 20+ IBUs. Any workarounds you guys know of?

It's slightly inhibited, but if put a pure culture in there, and a lot of them, they are not going to have that big of a problem.

Back