well im getting excited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jm9301

Reaction score
Its really starting to smell quite good in my pantry, im not going to lie, when i first whipped up my beggining batch with the extract, it smelled more like cat food then beer!! well it has been 4 days now and it smells pretty damn good!

My question is, should i test my gravity (i got a wine thief with my kit) after 1 week, or should i wait longer?

Did you grab a sample when you transferred it to the primary? If so, I would wait until you rack to secondary, usually after about 2 weeks, at least on my schedule.

I'd let it sit for another week, and then take your sample. Bottle at that point if the FG looks right.

Of course, if you are anything like the rest of us you won't be able to sleep until you take that hydro sample, drink the castoff, and make a post about how it tastes green and is that normal... :)

I just bottled after leaving my brew in primary for 3 weeks. That three weeks was a piece of cake; it's the next 4 in bottles that's the killer!

I'm glad to hear there are people out there other than me that couldn't wait more than a week. I'm sitting here enjoying the fruits of my first labor and have a bit fat smile on my face!

I brewed the recipe from the John Palmer web book (Cincinnati Pale Ale)and I'm very happy after just one week. I'm going to be patient and wait another week for number 2.

(probably)

I am hopefully going to be ready to bottle my very first batch on Sunday. I took a gravity tonight and it's almost there. Since I screwed up and used amber malt extract instead of dark like the recipe called for, it's going to end up being a lighter beer than what I had originally anticipated. So I don't think it will take as long to condition into a drinkable state. I'm going to let it condition for 2 weeks before I even give it a try, but the sample I tried after taking the gravity actually tastes like real beer... sans the carbonation. I am as excited as the other new brewers here seem to be to taste my new beer. But patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait, so wait I will.

lol well im busy all weekend (canadian thanksgiving) so i think next week ill give it a shot, see how it looks and tastes. hmm i need annother fermentor, or maybe 2 !

It's sooo hard to wait.

You get a pass the first time to try it early. After that.. no excuses. :D

A full pipeline is the key to avoiding tapping into it before it's at it's peak ...

DSC01661.JPG

I have 8 in the kegerator and a 9th full of beer but waiting for space, while #10 is aging in the closet for Christmas, #11 will hold the 9-9-9 until next summer and #12 is for who knows what, probably Chriso's 10-10-10 for 9-9-9 to help him dial in the recipe. ;)

Oh yeah, I have 7 fermenters now. Four are full. I bottle too. Nothing green here anymore.

I NEED a pipeline setup soon so I don't dive into my brews before they're done! I want nothing more than to pop open some more Amber ales from my first batch but it's way too early!! I need to get brewing some more batches!

Sacch, what type of fermenters do you use? Do you leave in primary and skip secondary?

I've got my first batch in the secondary for another week or so, and am also finding that homebrewing is a good lesson in patience. I was going to start another batch today or tomorrow, then next weekend, bottle the first batch, rack the second and start a third. I was pretty disappointed to find than my LHBS is closed on Sundays and Mondays, so I'll have to wait until next Friday at least to put this plan into action.

Sac -

I know not what kind of a set-up that is a photo of, but I know that I want one!

Please point me to information on a bare minimum basic starters kit, of what you've got.

Thanks,

Pogo

Back