Increasing gravity at bottling by blending?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here-been brewing a couple years. I was mashing an IPA this weekend, and got interrupted by the 2 year old...and my sparging and time schedule got messed up. Anyway the post boil OG of my wort was only 1.053 and I targeted 1.059. I am mostly concerned that the quantity of hops I used (60 IBU) will not be balanced by such a light malt profile and I will end up with an overly bitter light ale. I am thinking of brewing up a gallon of high gravity brew using DME and hopefully hitting 1.090, which according to my math(suspect?) would bring the final volume to 5.5 Gal (from 4.5) at 1.059. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? Encouragement? AM I crazy?

malkore said:
I think you're crazy for going thru so much trouble over .006 points.

+1

In addition, I don't understand the increase gravity at bottling. At bottling fermentation is suppose to be done, unless you really like exploding bottles.

I'd call it good and let it ferment out. A few points missed could be by differences in setup, grind, mash, etc. Don't worry about the few points and enjoy your brew.

OK, so I may be a bit obsessive...to clarify for Joker, I was planning to completely ferment the other gallon of beer and just add it to the bottling bucket. Sort of reverse of what big breweries do when they dilute at packaging. I think I will just let it ride and see how it comes out. Thanks to all of you.

Tim

Back