Help me start my nanobrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am about three months away from opening my nanobrewery. I'm 25 years old and have been brewing since I turned 21, right when I joined this site in 2008. There's been a lot of batches since then, and a lot of great information learned from HBT. When I first started, I never thought I'd go beyond extract; that's why this is such a great hobby!

The brewery will be a 1 BBL electric with a tasting room. I've already got my system built, my location secured, and my two five-tap kegboxes ready. I am raising money for the brewery through Kickstarter. If you have a couple bucks to spare, there are some very cool rewards for donating. $15 gets you a cool credit-card style bottle opener:

563340_518364048204347_1636482300_n.png

For $25 you get an e-book with all my recipes and some very practical info on how to brew them, for beers such as my elderberry quad and maple strong ale. Many of my beers have won medals.

Anyways, check out the Kickstarter if you'd like to donate, or just to see what I'm trying to do. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has, and I'll keep updating this thread. You can also follow me on Facebook at Crooked Run Brewing or check out my blog: http://crookedrunbrewing.wordpress.com/

Anyways, here's the Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1463544393/crooked-run-brewing-a-farmhouse-nanobrewery

Best of luck to you! I think you're going to 'make it'! I checked out your blog too, thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys! Here's an older pic of my system. Since then I've welded all the fittings on and installed the four heater elements, a false bottom and HERMS coil. I'll post some other pics once the panel and pumps come in. It's a 1 bbl electric system using theelectricbrewery.com design and panel. The stand is a tippy-dumpy design.

system-004.jpg

Congrats on obtaining your funding! Good luck man. I'll be happy to come down and check out your place when you open. Here to Leesburg is a great drive in good weather.

Thanks guys! I should have my loan by next week and start my lease by April first. I am hoping to have my license in a month and a half and be open in June. You guys are going to like this, I can promise you.

Hey Rex, I was following back on this post to see how the Brewery has come along. Maybe you can give us a bit of valuable info in the businnes side of home brewing to all of us who are thinking of doing some thing similar, Thanks.

I've been to the brewery. I live a couple miles from it and it's in a nice spot. Hop growing out front, in the spring/summer, and a nice patio to hang out in. I've had a couple of the beers and they're all pretty good!
The beer is available in DC but I have only seen it on tap at one place around town and that's at a movie theater and it was a red kolsch. The theater has a great beer selection btw.

How'd the contract brewing go at beltway? I've heard good things about them and it looks like they were able to help you with a bigger production batch to get your beer in bars. I spoke with the owner at beltway before they opened and he didn't have much info at the time to tell me. Only that we'd have to buy the kegs the beer was stored in and he wouldn't store the beer for us after it was kegged. He didn't have a canning line at the time but I guess he has one now which is pretty rad. Did you self distribute or go through a 3rd party? Any info you could give me about the beltway experience would be awesome! Thanks!

Back