BRS vs Sorghum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenkins

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am kegging my first batch of beer ever. (Yes, I purchased a keg right off the bat to avoid bottling.) This five gallons of beer was made with six pounds of brown rice syrup, as opposed to the X amount of sorghum + Y amount of BRS simply because my LHBS only carries BRS for those that are gluten free.
Now that this batch is just about done and I'm working on improving this recipe I've made, I'm wondering if there is a reason people (HBT members and commercial brewers) insist on using some amount of sorghum despite it's flavor. Is this because of costs? Availability? Flavor?

I don't think that anyone insists on using sorghum, it is just that it has its place from a flavor profile and is easy to access for the most part. Many of us, myself included, have mad several brews without using sorghum. I prefer brown rice for my darker beers, but it doesn't lend itself, I find, to the crispness that a Belgian or pale ale can use.

Yeah, there are definitely things that sorghum extract can do that BRS isn't so good at. Sorghum goes well with fruit, as well as fruity yeasts and fruity hops, and can help provide a nice crispness to lower-gravity lighter beers. BRS is softer and rounder but feels kind of weak/flabby in low-gravity beers if it's the only fermentable.

Back