Change in Hops- Need suggestions on amount.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnapolisBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am about to brew an Autumn Ale kit I got as a gift from Midwest Supplies. It came with 1 ounce of Fuggles (USA) hops. I like a more bitter IPA-ish ale so I bought 2 ounces of Bramling Cross (UK) hops. I know the Bramling Cross hops will add more bitterness but should I throw in the full 2 ounces or should I just do an even swap? The second set of hops the kit came with were German Hallerbrau.

This will be my first batch on my own. I have brewed with my father and brother a few times before.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. I look forward to contributing on here and joining in on the fun!

Cheers! :mug:

Id suggest you use the Bramling for the full boil time and add your fuggles in the last 5 minutes. Ive brewed with that kit and it is malty enough to support all the hops. I assume youre boiling less than 5 gallons at a time, so your bitterness extraction will be less than max. I suggest you google BU/GU ratio as a starting point if you want the long answer to your question.

Also would depend on which addition you are talking about. For bittering you probably want to calculate AAU's, or plug into software and play with the IBU's. If the AA % is a lot more for the Bramling Cross you'll get more bitterness ounce for ounce, you may not want to also double the amount or you'll overshoot. For swapping late additions I often just go ounce for ounce between different hops.

Back