Interesting piece of equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip1993

Reaction score
I was at the Cotton Pickin Fair a few weeks ago and I saw something that looked promising. It was a big white rubbermaid trash can looking thing with a spigot on it. They were using it to serve iced tea. I didn't get to touch and feel, but it had a locking lid, looked food grade, and the spigot matched. It definitely didn't look like a retrofit trash can, it appeared to be made for this purpose. anyone ever seen one? Might make a killer fermenting pail...

I'm just guessing, but this may have been it

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?categoryID=5&subcategoryID=494&rcpNum=2624&subcategoryID_rcpNum=494_2624&categoryID_rcpNum=5_2624&categoryID_subcategoryID_rcpNum=5_494_2624

Edit: That's not a fermenter, that's a $225 false bottom lauter tun...

pldoolittle said:
I was at the Cotton Pickin Fair a few weeks ago and I saw something that looked promising. It was a big white rubbermaid trash can looking thing with a spigot on it. They were using it to serve iced tea. I didn't get to touch and feel, but it had a locking lid, looked food grade, and the spigot matched. It definitely didn't look like a retrofit trash can, it appeared to be made for this purpose. anyone ever seen one? Might make a killer fermenting pail...

I'm just guessing, but this may have been it

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?categoryID=5&subcategoryID=494&rcpNum=2624&subcategoryID_rcpNum=494_2624&categoryID_rcpNum=5_2624&categoryID_subcategoryID_rcpNum=5_494_2624

Edit: That's not a fermenter, that's a $225 false bottom lauter tun...

Yeah, not sure LLDPE is food grade. Doubt it. So anything post-boil is out.

it is food safe, it is used to keep salad greens crisp and drained.

I made one at one of the restaurants I worked at with trash cans and it only costed $80 and not $200!

John

Evan! said:
Yeah, not sure LLDPE is food grade. Doubt it. So anything post-boil is out.

I'm unfamiliar with LLDPE, but the docs say this: "this container is both USDA approved and FDA compliant for food contact. "

Not that it matters much at $225... When I saw it, I thought it would be a little more expensive than a trashcan...

I bought a 25 gallon stainless kettle for $220... Think I'll stick with that for now. :)

Back